Good Researcher, Bad student ?

• Thread starter missfangula
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, there are different skills involved in being a successful student and a successful researcher. While some people excel in one area, they may struggle in the other. It is important to have a certain level of aptitude in both areas in order to succeed as a researcher.
missfangula
Is this possible? I find myself thriving in the research environment, but I would not call myself a very good student...are there different skills involved, from your experience? Has this happened to anyone else?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I've found is that the best students don't always make the best researchers because of exactly what you've mentioned: there are different skills involved. There are a lot of people who become very good at being a students - who solve any problem set you can come up with and write spectacular reports, etc - but when it comes to the independent thinking and organization required to define a research project, they fall apart.

That said, to be a good researcher you should be at least a reasonable student. It is extremely difficult to go from a state where you stuggle with basic concepts to one where you can make significant progress in an uncharted field.

I've seen several good researchers but bad students wash out of grad school when they hit the qualifying exams. You need to be good enough to get past that hurdle, and then it won't matter as much afterward if you're not great at coursework.

eri said:
I've seen several good researchers but bad students wash out of grad school when they hit the qualifying exams.

That happens. So does the reverse - the student who smokes all his tests, but when he has to do something independent, he crumbles. You need some degree of aptitude in both areas to succeed.

I can say that it is definitely possible to be a good researcher but not necessarily a good student. While both roles involve conducting research, they require different sets of skills and responsibilities.

A good researcher must have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, be able to design and execute experiments, analyze data, and draw conclusions. They also need to stay updated on the latest advancements in their field and be able to communicate their findings effectively.

On the other hand, being a good student often involves excelling in coursework, attending lectures, and completing assignments on time. While these skills can certainly be beneficial for a researcher, they are not the only factors that determine success in the field.

In my experience, I have seen many brilliant researchers who struggle with traditional academic tasks such as taking exams or writing papers. However, they excel in the research environment because they possess the necessary skills and passion for discovery.

I believe that it is important to recognize and value different strengths and abilities in both researchers and students. While some may excel in both roles, others may thrive more in one over the other. It is essential to find the right balance and focus on honing one's strengths to succeed in the scientific community.

I am sure that there are many others who have experienced a similar situation, and I would encourage them to embrace their strengths and continue pursuing their passion for research. Good researchers come in all forms, and their contributions are equally valuable to the scientific community.

1. What is the difference between a good researcher and a bad student?

A good researcher is someone who is able to conduct thorough and high-quality research, analyze data, and draw valid conclusions. On the other hand, a bad student may not have the necessary skills or motivation to conduct research effectively, resulting in poor quality work.

2. Can a good researcher also be a bad student?

Yes, it is possible for someone to be a good researcher but a bad student. This may be due to a lack of academic skills or motivation, which can affect their performance in the classroom. However, with proper guidance and support, a good researcher can also become a good student.

3. What qualities make a good researcher?

Some qualities that make a good researcher include critical thinking skills, attention to detail, curiosity, and perseverance. Good researchers also have strong communication skills and are able to work well in a team.

4. How can a bad student become a good researcher?

A bad student can become a good researcher by improving their academic skills, seeking guidance and mentorship from experienced researchers, and developing good research habits. It is also important for them to be motivated and passionate about their research topic.

5. Can a bad student still produce good research?

Yes, it is possible for a bad student to produce good research. However, it may require more effort and guidance from others. Collaboration with other researchers or seeking help from mentors can also help improve the quality of their research.