How Do You Calculate Force and Distance in Physics Problems?

In summary, the first problem involves calculating the minimum force required to catapult an F18 Super Hornet from 0 to a take-off speed of 248 km/hr on an aircraft carrier with a length of 237 m. The second problem involves finding the distance traveled by the last car of a train traveling up a 3.73-degree incline at a speed of 3.25 m/s before its speed momentarily reaches zero. To solve these problems, you can use equations such as F=ma, d=Vo2 + 1/2at2, Vf=Vo + at, d = (Vf2-Vo2)/2a, and Vocos(theta) and Vosin(theta). It is important to
eribac

Homework Statement

1.On an aircraft carrier, an F18 Super Hornet can be catapulted from 0 to a take-off speed of 248 km/hr. The loaded mass of this jet in fighter configuration is 21,320 kg. The length of the angled section of the flight deck on the US Nimitz class carriers is 237 m. What minimum force must be applied to the jet?

2.A train is traveling up a 3.73-degree incline at a speed of 3.25 m/s when the last car breaks free. How far does the last car travel before its speed momentarily reaches zero?

Homework Equations

These weren't given to me, just the ones I've tried using:
F=ma
d=Vo2 + 1/2at2
Vf=Vo + at
d = (Vf2-Vo2)/2a
Vox = Vocos(theta)
Voy = Vosin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made several attempts at these questions, but I am not very good at physics so I honestly do not know if they were even close, thus why I didn't bother posting them. Any help, even just a starting point or concept explanation, is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi eribac! welcome to pf! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help!

start with problem 2 :smile:

Try listing all the things you're given in the problem and look at your equations to see which ones you can use in order to solve for the missing variable.

Example: d=something,v0=something, vf=something, --> you can use d = (Vf2-Vo2)/2a to solve for a.

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws explain the motion of objects?

Newton's laws provide a framework for understanding the movement of objects in our physical world. They explain how objects behave when forces act upon them, and how they interact with each other. These laws are fundamental principles in physics and have been extensively tested and proven through experiments and observations.

3. What is the relationship between mass and acceleration according to Newton's second law?

According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that for a given force, a smaller mass will result in a greater acceleration, and a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.

4. Can Newton's laws be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's laws can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. These laws provide a general understanding of how objects behave and interact with each other, regardless of the type of motion they are experiencing.

5. How do Newton's laws relate to the concept of inertia?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This demonstrates the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In other words, an object will continue to do what it is already doing unless a force is applied to change its motion.