Any free anti spyware download?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of finding a good anti-virus program, particularly one that is free. McAfee and Microsoft Security Essentials are mentioned, with the latter being highly recommended. Other suggestions include Avast, AVG, Avira, and Norton. The conversation also touches on issues with viruses and the importance of finding a reliable and effective anti-virus program.
yungman
Any free anti spyware program download? I have McAfee and still got hijacked by XP internet security 2011.

Computer science news on Phys.org
KrisOhn said:

Thanks

So far so good. I am starting another thread looking for a good protection program, don't have to be free, just has to be good. I am done with McAfee!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen avast defeated by a virus at least once. Avast was able to detect it, but in no way could clean the system, I had to use some other tool.

I have AVG and it is all good =D

Avira is another good free anti-virus program.

Funny how they all start with "A" Avast, AVG, Avira (apart from the likes of kapersky, norton, mcaffe) haha I guess they don't all start with "A" then :biggrin:

I've been using MSE for a few weeks now with no problems. It's nice and easy to use but hogs resources every now and again and suggests a virus check every time I use a data stick, and I don't fully trust it. From what I read in PF AVG seems most popuar but I've never used it. For a non-free AV I'd use Norton, had no problems at all with it.

1. What is anti-spyware software?

Anti-spyware software is a type of program designed to detect and remove malicious software, also known as spyware, from computers. Spyware is a type of malware that can collect personal information and track user activity without their knowledge or consent.

2. Are there free options for anti-spyware software?

Yes, there are several free anti-spyware software programs available for download online. These programs may have limited features compared to paid versions, but they can still effectively protect your computer from spyware threats.

3. How do I know if I have spyware on my computer?

There are a few signs that may indicate the presence of spyware on your computer. These include unexpected pop-up ads, changes to your browser settings, slower computer performance, and unfamiliar programs or toolbars appearing on your computer.

4. Is it safe to download anti-spyware software from the internet?

It is generally safe to download anti-spyware software from reputable websites. However, it is important to be cautious and do your research before downloading any program. Make sure to read reviews and only download from trusted sources to avoid downloading potentially harmful software.

5. How often should I run a scan with my anti-spyware software?

It is recommended to run a scan with your anti-spyware software at least once a week to regularly check for any potential threats. However, if you notice any suspicious activity on your computer, it is a good idea to run a scan immediately.