How Can Clairaut's Theorem Help Solve for Function g(y) in Partial Derivatives?

• Thread starter matpo39
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
So, by using Clairaut's Theorem, we can find the function g(y) and all possible functions f(x,y). In summary, the conversation discusses using Clairaut's Theorem to find the function g(y) and all possible functions f(x,y) for a given function f(x,y) with known partial derivatives.
matpo39
hi, I am having some trouble with this problem:

A certain function f(x,y) is known to have partial derivatives of the form

(partial)f/(partial)x = 2ycos(2x)+y^3*x^2+g(y)
(partial)f/(partial)y= sin(2x)+x^3*y^2+4x+1

Please note that g is a function of y only. Use the equality of mixed partial derivatives (Clairaut's Theorem) to find the function g up to an arbitrary additive constant. then find all the functions f.

i was able to attempt the first part and i got

g'(y)= 4
and then intagrating that i find that g(y)= 4y+c_1

i then inteagrated the two partial functions and i got

f(x)= ysin(2x)+(1/3)y^3*x^3+4yx+c_2
f(y)= ysin(2x)+(1/3)y^3*x^3+4yx+y+c_3

i have no idea on what i should do next, if anyone can help me out, that would be great.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
basically are saying you that the function f(x,y) has a gradient equal to (∂f/∂x,∂f/∂y). The condition for a field to be gradient of some function f is the equality of mixed partial derivatives.

Hi there,

It looks like you have made some progress on this problem already, which is great! Let's take a look at your work and see if we can help you move forward.

First, you are correct in using Clairaut's Theorem to find the function g. This theorem states that if the partial derivatives of a function are continuous, then the order in which you take the partial derivatives does not matter. In other words, the mixed partial derivatives are equal. So, we can set the two partial derivatives equal to each other and solve for g(y):

2ycos(2x)+y^3*x^2+g(y) = sin(2x)+x^3*y^2+4x+1

Since g is a function of y only, we can treat x as a constant. This means that the terms with x in them will cancel out, leaving us with:

g(y) = 4x+1

Now, we can integrate both sides with respect to y to find g(y):

∫ g(y) dy = ∫ (4x+1) dy

g(y) = 4xy+y+c

Note that we have added a constant of integration, c, since we are integrating with respect to y.

Next, we can integrate the two partial functions with respect to x and y, respectively. However, we need to be careful with the integration limits since we are dealing with a function of two variables. Let's start with the first function:

∫ (∂f/∂x) dx = ∫ (2ycos(2x)+y^3*x^2+g(y)) dx

f(x,y) = ysin(2x)+(1/3)y^3*x^3+g(y)x+c_1

Note that we have added a constant of integration, c_1, since we are integrating with respect to x. Now, let's integrate the second function:

∫ (∂f/∂y) dy = ∫ (sin(2x)+x^3*y^2+4x+1) dy

f(x,y) = ysin(2x)+(1/3)y^3*x^3+4yx+g(y)y+c_2

Note that we have added a constant of integration, c_2, since we are integrating with respect to y. However, we also have an extra term, g(y)y

What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its partial derivatives, and is commonly used to model physical systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

The main difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation is that a PDE involves partial derivatives, while an ODE involves only ordinary derivatives. This means that a PDE can have multiple independent variables, while an ODE has only one independent variable.

How are partial differential equations solved?

Solving a PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the given equation. This can be done analytically, by using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics, or numerically, by using computational methods such as finite difference or finite element methods.

What are some real-world applications of partial differential equations?

PDEs are used to model a wide range of physical systems, including heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in economics and finance to study complex systems such as stock prices and interest rates.

What are the challenges in solving partial differential equations?

One of the main challenges in solving PDEs is their complexity. They can be difficult to solve analytically, and even numerical solutions can be computationally intensive. Additionally, PDEs can have multiple solutions or no solutions at all, making it important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the appropriate solution method.