ElMag: Current-carrying Conductor, B inside a Hole

In summary, Laura and her boyfriend are struggling with a past exam question involving a long straight conductor with a cylindrical hole and a current. They are attempting to find the magnitude and uniformity of the magnetic induction at the center of the hole. To do this, they use the superposition principle and consider the direction and distance from the axis of the cylinder. They also mention a similar problem in electrostatics and explain that the solution is based on geometry. They conclude that the magnetic field remains constant inside the hole due to the canceling effects of the current.
starrymirth
Hi there,
My boyfriend and I have been bashing our head against this past exam question for some time now, any physical insight would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

A long straight conductor has a circular cross-section of radius R and carries a current I. Through the conductor, there is a cylindrical hole of radius a whose axis is parallel to the axis of the conductor and at a distance b from it. [From the cross-sectional diagram, a<b]

a) Show that the magnitude of the magnetic induction at the centre of the hole is equal to:
[itex] B = \frac{\mu_0 bI}{2\pi(R^2-a^2)} [/itex]

b) Show that the magnitude of the magnetic induction is uniform inside the hole.

2 The attempt at a solution

(a) If I treat the wire and hole as two super-imposed wires, with the "wire" that is the hole carrying the same current in the opposite direction, then I can find B at the centre of the hole (albeit with some difficulty).

(b) I don't know. Any physical insight into why the B-field inside the hole is the same everywhere?

Thanks,
Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
Laura,

As far as why the magnitude should be constant inside the hole:
When using ampere's law inside (r<R) a cylindrically symmetric current distribution we have that the magnitude of the magnetic field is proportional to the distance from the axis of the cylinder, r.
When also considering that the direction of the magnetic field is [itex]\hat{r}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex][itex]\hat{I}[/itex] we get that [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] [itex]\propto[/itex] [itex]\vec{r}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex][itex]\vec{I}[/itex].

Considering your problem of two equal currents running in opposite directions, the net magnetic field is the sum of the contributions from each current (i.e. use the superposition principle).
[itex]\vec{B_{net}}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{B_{+}}[/itex] + [itex]\vec{B_{-}}[/itex]
Since we are 'inside' both current distributions (r < R) what was said above about the magnetic field still applies so:
[itex]\vec{B_{net}}[/itex] [itex]\propto[/itex] [itex]\vec{r_{+}}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex][itex]\vec{I}[/itex] + [itex]\vec{r_{-}}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex][itex]\vec{-I}[/itex] = ([itex]\vec{r_{+}}[/itex] - [itex]\vec{r_{-}}[/itex]) [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]\vec{I}[/itex]

Where [itex]\vec{r_{+/-}}[/itex] is the vector pointing from the axis of the positive/negative current to the point where we are interested in the magnetic field.
Note that the fact that the magnitude of the currents being equal is important in order to write the proportionality this way.
Now if you draw a picture you can see that [itex]\vec{r_{+}}[/itex] - [itex]\vec{r_{-}}[/itex] is just the vector pointing from the axis of the positive current to the axis of the negative current, therefore it is a constant.
Thus the magnetic field is proportional to the cross product of two constant vectors, and is therefore constant inside the hole.

There is a similar problem in electrostatics where you find the field of a spherical hole inside a spherical charge distribution and you get a similar result (using Gauss' law instead of Ampere's).
I don't know if this counts as 'physical' insight, but the problem is inherently geometrical (which is pretty much true of all classical E&M). The idea is that as you move around in the hole you get closer or further from parts of the current, but on the whole these effects cancel out the magnetic field remains constant.

Hope that helps :)

1. What is ElMag?

ElMag is a term that stands for electromagnetic field, which is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the interaction between electrically charged objects. It includes the study of electric and magnetic fields and how they are related.

2. What is a current-carrying conductor?

A current-carrying conductor is a material that allows the flow of electric current through it. This can be a wire, cable, or any other type of material that has the ability to conduct electricity.

3. How does a current-carrying conductor create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a circular magnetic field around the conductor. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor.

4. What is the significance of a hole in relation to ElMag and a current-carrying conductor?

A hole in a current-carrying conductor creates a unique situation where the magnetic field inside the hole is different from the magnetic field outside the conductor. This is because the current flowing through the hole is in the opposite direction, creating a repulsive force between the two magnetic fields.

5. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field inside a hole?

The direction of the current will determine the direction of the magnetic field inside the hole. If the current is flowing clockwise, the magnetic field inside the hole will be counterclockwise, and vice versa. This is due to the right-hand rule, which states that the direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the current.