What is the 5th State of Matter? Understanding the Fifth State of Matter

In summary, scientists believe that the fifth state of matter is the QGP (Quarks and GLuon PLasma). This is a state where quarks are free and has been proposed to be a phase transition during the creation of our universe. Many experiments are runing to prove its existence. I hope that this information has helped.
lakshmi
what is the 5th state of matter
can aybody explain it

Physics news on Phys.org
You must know the 3 states of matter: liquid,solid,gaz, but at hight temerature, you can also find a state called plasma(electrons are free)

The fifth state of matter you're talking about might be the QGP (Quarks and GLuon PLasma).

Scientists believe that QGP is a state where quarks are free (T = 170 Mev and epsilon = 3 GeV per fm^3), as during the first second of our universe.

Many experiments are runing now to prove its existence in Berkeley and Geneva...

I hope it's answers your question ...

Regards

He might be talking about Bose-Einstein condensate.

I did a 2nd year undergrad uni course in statistical mechanics this semester, and we touched on Bose-Einstein condensation, just by deriving certain temperatures etc.
We were told that the first experimental evidence of B-E condensation was in 1995 where Rubidium atoms were cooled to something like 4x10^-3 K, by using "laser traps"
How does this work?

Well, basicly you have lasers that hit a group of atoms from all sides and inhibit their movement, effectively dropping their temperature.

rayveldkamp said:
I did a 2nd year undergrad uni course in statistical mechanics this semester, and we touched on Bose-Einstein condensation, just by deriving certain temperatures etc.
We were told that the first experimental evidence of B-E condensation was in 1995 where Rubidium atoms were cooled to something like 4x10^-3 K, by using "laser traps"
How does this work?

Actually, it's much colder- something like [tex]10^{-7} K[/tex] is more typical.

As for how they did it, take a look at http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/bec/index.html . which provides an easy introduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
wolverine said:
You must know the 3 states of matter: liquid,solid,gaz, but at hight temerature, you can also find a state called plasma(electrons are free)

The fifth state of matter you're talking about might be the QGP (Quarks and GLuon PLasma).

Scientists believe that QGP is a state where quarks are free (T = 170 Mev and epsilon = 3 GeV per fm^3), as during the first second of our universe.

Many experiments are runing now to prove its existence in Berkeley and Geneva...

I hope it's answers your question ...

Regards

My opinion is that QGP is not anything different than ordinary Fermions+Photons plasma.You just need higher temperatures and energies go get the former.If such a plasma is obtained,then it should be regarded as a confirmation of the Standard Model,just like more "normal" plasma is.

Hi :biggrin:

I'm agree with you, dextercioby, when you sau that the discovery of QGP will confirm the power of the standart model, but I don't believe it's like a normal plasma.

In QGP, quarks are free, and calculations with lattice QCD show us that there where a phase transition (sign of new state of matter) during the creation of such a plasma.

See you

is there anything called the supercool state of matter or something..something that happens when water is 0 deg celcius in kelvin temp..?

sameerpaisari said:
is there anything called the supercool state of matter or something..something that happens when water is 0 deg celcius in kelvin temp..?

Ohhh, you are referring to a supercooled liquid. That's still the liquid phase. The only issue is, it exists below the freezing temperature and it is unstable. A small center of crystalization (like a grain of sand or another impurity) will cause the whole water to freeze.

I thought that Quark-Gluon Plasma was the 7th state?
Isn't the Einstein-Bose condensate the 5th?
I know that water can occasionally get to be -10 degrees Celsius without freezing.
cheers, BT

There was a nice program on Nova (pbs channel) channel on TV. that covered what you are asking about.

This program discussed a substrate that is formed when elements are cooled to near zero degree K. The particles do not act as separate elements but seem to form a common matter that acts unlike the individual element.

The program mentioned California Berkley as being the 1st site to produce it. They referred to it as the Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC)

here is a link that I found http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/ultracold-atoms.html

I found this to be really interesting as my kids science books do not even mention this 5th matter.

1. What is the fifth state of matter?

The fifth state of matter is known as the Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC) and it is a unique form of matter that exists at extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero (-273.15°C or -459.67°F).

2. How is the fifth state of matter created?

The fifth state of matter is created by cooling a gas, usually composed of atoms, to a temperature very close to absolute zero. This causes the atoms to slow down and come together, forming a single entity known as a Bose-Einstein condensate.

3. What are the properties of the fifth state of matter?

The properties of the fifth state of matter include superfluidity, where the BEC can flow without friction and form vortices; and coherence, where all the particles in the BEC behave in a coordinated manner. It also exhibits wave-like behavior and can be manipulated with lasers.

4. What are the applications of the fifth state of matter?

The BEC has potential applications in precision measurements, quantum computing, and quantum simulation. It has also been used to create new states of matter and study fundamental physics principles.

5. How was the fifth state of matter discovered?

The fifth state of matter was predicted by physicist Satyendra Nath Bose and Albert Einstein in the 1920s. It was first observed in 1995 by Eric Cornell and Carl Wieman, who were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for their work on the BEC in 2001.