This webpage title could be: Related Rates of Change for Ohm's Law

In summary, Daniel was incorrect in his differentiation of Ohm's law and it was due to the pressure of the assignment. He substituted the product rule for the quotient rule and solved for R. R was found to be 1.5 ohms/s.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
Question:
Ohm's law for electrical circuits states that V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. Suppose that V is increasing at the rate of 1 volt/sec while I is decreasing at the rate of 1/3 amp/sec. Let t denote time in seconds.
a)what is the value of dV/dt?
b)what is the value of dI/dt?
c)what equation relates dR/dt to dV/dt and dI/dt?
d)Find the rate at which R is changing when V=12 volts and I=2 amps. Is R increasing or decreasing?

I don't think I had any problems with the first 3 parts...

[tex]a) \frac{dV}{dt}=1 v/s[/tex]
[tex]b)\frac{dI}{dt}=-\frac{1}{3}amp/sec[/tex]
[tex]c)\frac{dV}{dt}=(\frac{dI}{dt})(\frac{dR}{dt})[/tex]

I don't quite understand part d. It gives information to be used in the original equation, not the differentiated one. Maybe it is irrelevant and I just need to do this? :

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=(\frac{dI}{dt})(\frac{dR}{dt})[/tex]
[tex]1v/s=(-\frac{1}{3})(\frac{dR}{dt})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dR}{dt}=-3 ohms/s[/tex]

If someone could help me quickly I would appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you need to use the product rule to differentiate the RHS? I would have thought it should be dV/dt = d(IR)/dt = RdI/dt + IdR/dt.

Likes mdispas
You're right, slipped my mind, Thanks.

Nylex said:
Why don't you need to use the product rule to differentiate the RHS? I would have thought it should be dV/dt = d(IR)/dt = RdI/dt + IdR/dt.

Well,Nylex,you're right...Again.He should be differentiating Ohm's law wrt ti time and substitute all known quantities in the new equation and from there to extract dR/dt.

Let's hope he sees his mistake.

Daniel.

Yes, I understand my mistake. I had a very similar problem earlier in the homework and did it correctly, the time pressure just made me think a little too fast. When he pointed out I differentiated it incorrectly, I checked my work and realized you actually don't even use product rule, but rather quotient rule since it asks for dR/dt in relation to the others, you need to solve for R then differentiate:

[tex]R=\frac{V}{I}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{I{\frac{dV}{dt}}-V{\frac{dI}{dt}}}{I^2}[/tex]

substituting in numbers:

[tex]\frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{(2)(1)-(12)(-\frac{1}{3})}{4}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dR}{dt}=\frac{6}{4}=1.5 ohms/s[/tex]

Thanks!

What is "related rates of change"?

Related rates of change is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, when both variables are changing over time.

Why is "related rates of change" important?

Related rates of change is important because it allows us to understand and predict how one variable will change in relation to another variable. This is useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

What are some real-life applications of "related rates of change"?

Related rates of change has many real-life applications, such as predicting the growth rate of a population, determining the rate of change of a chemical reaction, and calculating the speed of an object at a certain point in time.

What are the steps to solving a "related rates of change" problem?

The first step is to identify the variables and their rates of change in the problem. Then, set up an equation that relates the variables and their rates of change. Next, take the derivative of the equation with respect to time. Finally, plug in the given values and solve for the desired rate of change.

What are some common mistakes when solving "related rates of change" problems?

Some common mistakes include not correctly identifying the variables and their rates of change, not setting up the equation correctly, and not taking the derivative with respect to time. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.