Air flow in inlet manifold affecting engine performance

In summary: You're looking to model airflow in the inlet manifold, and then study its effects on engine performance. There are a few things to consider when modelling an intake manifold, including inlet vacuum, wave pulse dynamics, manifold runner diameter and length, and engine rpm. In addition, you need to take into account the air temperature and mass flow rate. You're also looking to vary the type of intake manifold, and study the effects on turbulence and pressure drop.One important thing to keep in mind when modelling an intake manifold is that the resulting airflow will be affected by the engine speed and other parameters. It's important to validate your model by running it at various engine speeds and observing the resulting airflow and
monty37
i want to model air flow in the inlet manifold using CFD ,how do i predict
how flow variations and other parameters affect engine performance ?
i know how it affects but how do i show it virtually

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are several important things to consider in modelling the intake manifold:

a) Inlet vacuum that depends on the flow rate and throttle body size.
b) Wave pulse dynamics that depend mostly on runner length. In a very simplified sense, you can see this behavior in the Hemholtz resonator model.
c) manifold runner diameter and length which affects flow restriction and pressure drop.
d) Engine rpm which affects all of the above.

As you can see, this the problem is very dynamic. You could start with a fixed engine speed, and try to set up the model.

After I set up the model how do I represent air flow in manifold affecting engine performance..changes in air flow affects a/f ratio and combustion ..but will I be able
to represent that as a graph?

You are basically asking how do I do CFD, and how can I get results.
Which can't realistically be answered in a forum post.

It's sort of like asking how do I write a best selling novel in French. When you can't speak French nor have any experience writing novels.Lets start from the beginning, what are you actually trying to achieve, that prompeted you need to use CFD to model an inlet manifold?

I want to study the flow characteristics of air when it enters the inlet manifold and reaches the combustion chamber, considering a four cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine.
I have the required parameters such as temperature ,mass flow rate etc for the inlet air...i want to use ansys-cfx to model the component and solve it.I have a fair idea about defining domains ,boundary conditions etc.

What do you mean by 'study the flow characteristics of the air'? What aspect specifically are you studying? What programmes do you have access to?

When I say specific, I mean very very specific.

Without comparing the changes to a running engine with known geometry, you simply can't tell what sort of changes air flow will make. How do you plan to verify and validate the model?

It's still far too broad a remit to give a sensible answer. eg. You could be looking at inlet conditions past the valve, which is a whole different problem to looking at what happens to the air within the combustion chamber, which is again a whole different problem to modelling say, density distribution within a plenum.

I want to study velocity,temperature and pressure variations from the time air
enters (from plenum to runner)to the time before inlet valve opens.As you said
I am also bothered about density distribution in plenum.I also want to vary the type of manifold being used helical ,spherical and observe the changes

1. How does air flow in the inlet manifold affect engine performance?

Air flow in the inlet manifold plays a critical role in determining the amount of air and fuel mixture entering the engine. This mixture is necessary for the combustion process, which ultimately powers the engine. Therefore, a restricted or inadequate air flow in the inlet manifold can result in reduced engine performance and power.

2. What factors can affect air flow in the inlet manifold?

There are several factors that can affect air flow in the inlet manifold, including the size and shape of the manifold, the design of the intake system, and any obstructions or restrictions in the air intake. Other factors such as air temperature, humidity, and altitude can also impact air flow and subsequently, engine performance.

3. How can air flow in the inlet manifold be improved?

To improve air flow in the inlet manifold, various modifications can be made to the intake system. This can include installing a larger or more efficient air filter, using a cold air intake system, or upgrading to a performance intake manifold. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning or replacing air filters, can also help to optimize air flow.

4. Can a damaged or clogged inlet manifold affect engine performance?

Yes, a damaged or clogged inlet manifold can significantly impact engine performance. If the inlet manifold is cracked or has leaks, it can allow for unfiltered air to enter the engine, which can cause damage and reduce engine efficiency. Clogs in the inlet manifold can also restrict air flow and lead to poor engine performance.

5. How does air flow in the inlet manifold affect fuel economy?

The amount of air flowing through the inlet manifold directly impacts the amount of fuel needed for proper combustion. If the air flow is restricted, the engine may compensate by using more fuel to maintain performance, resulting in decreased fuel economy. By improving air flow in the inlet manifold, fuel economy can also be improved.