Is this correct proving function addition is associative?

In summary: If you have a function that takes two inputs and returns one output, like f(x, y), then you can't do (f(x)+g(y)) because g(y) wouldn't exist. In summary, You can add functions together in an associative manner. The order of operations does not affect the outcome of the addition.
SMA_01
Is this correct...proving function addition is associative?

Homework Statement

Let F be the set of all real-valued functions having as domain the set ℝ of all real number. Prove that function addition + on F is associative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I approached this correctly, but here is how I did it:

For all f,g,h in F:

(f+g)(x)+h(x)
=f(x)+g(x)+h(x) [by definition of function addition]

and

f(x)+(g+h)(x)

so that, (f+g)(x)+h(x)=f(x)+(g+h)(x) for all x in ℝ

Did I do this correctly? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

SMA_01 said:

Homework Statement

Let F be the set of all real-valued functions having as domain the set ℝ of all real number. Prove that function addition + on F is associative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I approached this correctly, but here is how I did it:

For all f,g,h in F:

(f+g)(x)+h(x)

and

f(x)+(g+h)(x)

so that, (f+g)(x)+h(x)=f(x)+(g+h)(x) for all x in ℝ

Did I do this correctly? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
In my opinion, you skipped some steps.

I would say that:
(f+g)(x)+h(x)
=(f(x)+g(x))+h(x) [by definition of function addition]​
Anything beyond that result requires the mention of or convention for "order of operations".
I admit this is being a little picky.

The following is not being picky.
Your other statement should say:
f(x)+(g+h)(x)
=f(x)+(g(x)+h(x)) [by definition of function addition]​
To go beyond this requires you to call on the associativity of ordinary addition.

SammyS- Thank you, I am not fully understanding what you mean by order of operations though, can you please clarify?

Also, should I mention associativity of addition after both results?

For functions f and g, the sum, f+ g, is defined by (f+ g)(x)= f(x)+ g(x). Do you understand the notation? f and g are the functions, f(x) and g(x) are the values of the functions. f+ g is a sum of functions, f(x)+ g(x) is a sum of numbers.

(f+ g)+ h is the function such that ((f+ g)+ h)(x)= (f(x)+ g(x))+ h(x). Now, because addition of numbers is associative, (f(x)+ g(x))+ h(x)= f(x)+ (g(x)+ h(x))= (f+ (g+h))(x).

SMA_01 said:
SammyS- Thank you, I am not fully understanding what you mean by order of operations though, can you please clarify?
What I meant by "order of operations" was that: if all operations are the same, in this case they're all addition, then a + b + c is the same as (a + b) + c .

1. What is a proving function?

A proving function is a mathematical concept used to demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. It involves using logical steps and mathematical operations to show that a statement is true.

2. How do you prove that function addition is associative?

To prove that function addition is associative, you need to show that the order in which functions are added does not affect the final result. This can be done by using the associative property of addition, which states that the grouping of numbers being added does not affect the sum.

3. Why is it important to prove that function addition is associative?

Proving that function addition is associative is important because it ensures the accuracy and consistency of mathematical operations. It also allows for the simplification of complex equations and makes it easier to solve mathematical problems.

4. What is the difference between proving function addition and proving regular addition?

The process of proving function addition is similar to proving regular addition, but it involves using functions instead of numbers. In regular addition, the numbers being added are fixed, while in function addition, the functions can vary. This requires a different approach to the proof, but the underlying principles are the same.

5. Can function addition ever not be associative?

No, function addition will always be associative. This is because the associative property of addition holds true for all numbers and functions, regardless of their values or variables. Therefore, it is a fundamental property of addition that cannot be violated.