[LOGIC] Proof by Induction in Peano Arithmetic

In summary: Unless I derive some contradiction using PA1, and hence I can derive anything from that contradiction..
Firepanda
I have to do the following using these axioms PA1-7, the others below it are previously proved results I can use too.

[Sa] means the successor of a.

263c5ee.png
Base Case: y = S0

x.S0 = S0

→ x.0 + x = S0

→ 0 + x = S0

→ x = S0 & y=S0

Now the induction step is usually y=a to y=Sa, however this does not work here, I assume I need to take a new y and it's successor to proceed. Would anyone know how to proceed and which y to take?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Firepanda said:
Now the induction step is usually y=a to y=Sa, however this does not work here, I assume I need to take a new y and it's successor to proceed. Would anyone know how to proceed and which y to take?

Why are you inducting here? You usually only use induction when you are trying to show that something is true for all natural numbers. So while your base case holds, any other case you try will fail.

How formally does this proof have to be done. If you are using the Peano axioms, then presumably you are taking a course in mathematical logic or something of the like, so it it alright to write the proof out in ordinary mathematical language?

Yeah we are advised to do this proof 'mathematically' rather than 'logically' (i.e not by natural deductions using rules of inference)

Here is an example proof, all the others have been done via the induction schema so I assumed this one was to be done that same way too

155gqcl.png

If not then I have no idea how to do it without induction for those axioms

I agree with what you're saying, it doesn't make sense that this holds for any other case other than S0, but then how do I show this?

Unless I derive some contradiction using PA1, and hence I can derive anything from that contradiction..

Thanks

1. What is proof by induction in Peano Arithmetic?

Proof by induction in Peano Arithmetic is a method of proving mathematical statements about natural numbers. It is based on the principles of the Peano axioms, which define the properties of natural numbers, and allows for the use of recursive reasoning to prove statements about all natural numbers.

2. How does proof by induction work?

Proof by induction works by first establishing a base case, which is a specific value of the natural number that satisfies the statement being proved. Then, using the principle of induction, the proof shows that if the statement is true for a particular natural number, it is also true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until it is shown that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. What are the steps involved in a proof by induction?

The steps involved in a proof by induction are as follows:

• Step 1: Establish the base case, which is the value of the natural number for which the statement is true.
  • Step 2: Assume that the statement is true for a particular value of the natural number, known as the induction hypothesis.
  • Step 3: Use the induction hypothesis to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number.
  • Step 4: Repeat step 3 until it is shown that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

4. What are the advantages of using proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a powerful and widely used tool in mathematics because it allows for the proof of statements about infinite sets, such as the natural numbers. It also provides a systematic and rigorous approach to proving mathematical statements, making it easier to verify the validity of the proof.

5. Are there any limitations to proof by induction?

While proof by induction is a useful and widely applicable method, it is not suitable for proving all types of mathematical statements. For example, it cannot be used to prove statements about real numbers or sets. Additionally, the base case and induction step must be carefully chosen to ensure the validity of the proof.