Pressure inside a bladder when subjected to an outside liquid pressure

In summary, the question is whether a bladder that is charged with 300 psi gage pressure of nitrogen gas inside and subjected to a liquid pressure of 25 psi on its outside surface will have an increased pressure inside or if it will take more than 300 psi of liquid pressure to increase the pressure inside. The answer depends on the design and properties of the bladder, and can likely be found in the manufacturer's documentation.
hdbiker
If I have a bladder (or balloon) that is charged with 300# of a nitrogen gas at a normal atmospheric pressure outside the bladder, and I then enclose the bladder and subject that bladder to a liquid pressure of 25# on it's outside surface area but inside the enclosure. Assuming a constant temperature, does the inside pressure of the bladder increase due to the 25# of liquid pressure, or does it take more than 300# of liquid pressure on it's outside surface area to get the pressure inside the bladder to increase? This is not a homework problem, but a problem with a system I am trying to understand at my work place. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on if you want gage, differential or absolute presssure. Is this an expansion tank?

It also depends on the design of the bladder. Is the bladder elastic? If so, the pressure inside may well increase. If the bladder is not elastic however, the pressure inside will remain at 300 pounds (per square inch? per square foot?) until the outside pressure exceeds the inside pressure.

Russ Watters, cjl, and anyone else who can provide info. - This is a pulsation dampener for a liquid dye pump. The bladder is elastic. The pressure inside the bladder is 300 psi of nitrogen. I am looking for gage pressure inside the bladder when the outside of the bladder is subjected to a lower liquid pressure. If the liquid pressure is something less than the 300 psi inside bladder pressure, will it compress the nitrogen gas and increase the pressure inside the bladder, or will it take more than 300 psi of liquid pressure to change the pressure inside the bladder? Thanks, again, for any help you can provide.

russ_watters said:
Depends on if you want gage, differential or absolute presssure. Is this an expansion tank?

I have an elastic bladder that is charged with 300 psi gage pressure of a nitrogen gas inside the bladder, at atmospheric pressure outside the bladder. This is being used as a pulsation dampner for a liquid dye pulsing pump. If I subject that bladder to a liquid dye pressure of 25 psi gage pressure on it's outside surface area, assuming a constant temperature, does the inside pressure increase, or does it take more than 300 psi of liquid pressure on it's outside surface area to compress the bladder and get the nitrogen gas pressure inside the bladder to increase?

cjl said:
It also depends on the design of the bladder. Is the bladder elastic? If so, the pressure inside may well increase. If the bladder is not elastic however, the pressure inside will remain at 300 pounds (per square inch? per square foot?) until the outside pressure exceeds the inside pressure.

I have an elastic bladder that is charged with 300 psi gage pressure of a nitrogen gas inside the bladder, at atmospheric pressure outside the bladder. This is being used as a pulsation dampner for a liquid dye pulsing pump. If I subject that bladder to a liquid dye pressure of 25 psi gage pressure on it's outside surface area, assuming a constant temperature, does the inside pressure increase, or does it take more than 300 psi of liquid pressure on it's outside surface area to compress the bladder and get the nitrogen gas pressure inside the bladder to increase?

This is basically an expansion tank, so the bladder itself holds 300 psi of gauge pressure due to its own internal strength. If you add external pressure to it, that increases the pressure inside the tank with respect to the atmosphere, but decreases the pressure "felt" by the bladder itself. The exact resulting pressure will depend on the properties of the bladder and can probably be found by looking at the manufacturer's documentation.

What is pressure inside a bladder when subjected to an outside liquid pressure?

Pressure inside a bladder when subjected to an outside liquid pressure refers to the amount of force applied per unit area on the walls of the bladder due to the pressure of a surrounding liquid.

How is pressure inside a bladder affected by the outside liquid pressure?

The pressure inside a bladder is directly influenced by the pressure of the surrounding liquid. As the outside liquid pressure increases, the pressure inside the bladder also increases.

What factors can affect the pressure inside a bladder when subjected to an outside liquid pressure?

The pressure inside a bladder can be affected by several factors including the density of the liquid, the volume of the bladder, and the material and thickness of the bladder walls. The temperature and altitude can also play a role in the pressure inside a bladder.

How is the pressure inside a bladder when subjected to an outside liquid pressure measured?

The pressure inside a bladder can be measured using a pressure sensor or a pressure gauge. These devices measure the amount of force exerted on the walls of the bladder and convert it into a numerical value, typically in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

What are the practical applications of understanding pressure inside a bladder when subjected to an outside liquid pressure?

Understanding the pressure inside a bladder when subjected to an outside liquid pressure is important in various industries such as hydraulic systems, medical devices, and underwater technology. It can also be useful in predicting the behavior of materials and structures under different pressure conditions.