How to recover lost folder in the flash drive ( USB stick)?

In summary, the conversation is about a lost folder on a flash drive. The folder was worked on directly from the flash drive and has disappeared. The person is asking if there is any way to recover the folder. Others suggest using data recovery programs and recommend backing up important files in multiple places.
yungman
My wife lost a file that she worked directly from a flash drive. Somehow, the whole folder disappeared. Is there any way to recover that folder?

Problem is she did not work off the C drive where even you accidentally deleted it, you can find it in the trash bin. She worked directly off the flash drive and she can't find it anywhere anymore.

She was blaming me that I pull the drive off while one of the program in the folder was opened. But I don't think that would do anything to make the whole folder disappeared in the flash drive. In fact I don't even think this will delete the program that is opened, worst case was she lost the last part of work.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
The reason things like what robphy pointed to can work is that because (in Windows at least) "deleted" does not mean "erased" it just means that the pointer information that tells where something IS on the drive is told not to point to anything so that the space is freed up for new use. IF there has not been anything new put on the drive that overwrites the old stuff, then recovery is possible but if lots of new stuff has been put on the drive then you may be out of luck.

It also depends of course on HOW it was "deleted". I'm assuming that a delete command was executed on it whether you or your wife are conscious of having done that. If, on the other hand, it really is a drive failure, you may be out of luck in any case since it may not be just the pointer area that failed.

I would definately suggest Photorec as robphy suggested you look into, i have used this program many times on usb drives that no longer work, same with dvd's cd's flash cards camera cards ect practically every form of data. it has worked to beyond belief many times.

To update the situation. That memory stick lost another file, the stick is bad. It is destroyed and end of story. Thanks for all your time.

sometimes USB drives lose the solder connection with the main board inside. you may be able to bend it slightly in one direction and it may work, I've seen all of this happen before and it really just teaches us we need to back up everything that is important. on more than one type of media on different computers there does come a point where backing up can be over the top but personally i backup to at least 3 different places and each month save files to bluray/DVD/CD as they are in my opinion the best form of backup plus when they go south and stop working that photorec program seems to be able to pull everything important back

1. How do I know if my folder is really lost in the flash drive?

The first step to recovering a lost folder in a flash drive is to make sure that it is actually lost. Check the flash drive to see if the folder is still there or if it has been accidentally deleted. You can also try searching for the folder on your computer to see if it was accidentally moved to a different location.

2. Can I recover a folder that has been permanently deleted from the flash drive?

If the folder has been permanently deleted from the flash drive, it may still be possible to recover it using data recovery software. However, the chances of successful recovery decrease the longer you wait to try and retrieve the folder. It is important to act quickly if you want to recover a permanently deleted folder.

3. What can cause a folder to become lost in a flash drive?

There are several reasons why a folder may become lost in a flash drive. Some common causes include accidental deletion, corrupt files or folders, and formatting the flash drive. It is important to be cautious when handling important files on a flash drive to avoid losing them.

4. How can I prevent losing a folder on my flash drive in the future?

To prevent losing a folder on your flash drive in the future, it is important to regularly back up your files. This can be done by transferring the folder to your computer or using cloud storage. It is also a good idea to safely eject the flash drive from your computer before removing it to avoid any potential data loss.

5. Are there any professional services that can help me recover a lost folder from a flash drive?

Yes, there are data recovery services that specialize in recovering lost files from flash drives. These services can be expensive, but may be worth it if the lost folder contains important or irreplaceable information. However, it is always recommended to try data recovery software first before seeking professional help.