Rocket Project - need to find mass of rocket to reach 15 m altitude

In summary, to reach a 15 m altitude with an Estes A8-5 engine, you will need to find the mass of the rocket. You can use calculus to integrate and find the impulse, which is 2.50 N*s with a total burn time of 0.7 seconds. However, finding the mass requires knowing the acceleration, which cannot be determined without the final velocity after burn. It is important to clarify if the reduction in fuel mass needs to be taken into account, as this will affect the solution. Otherwise, energy can be used to find the mass by considering the total energy delivered by the rocket and the desired height.
ganoobinator
Rocket Project -- need to find mass of rocket to reach 15 m altitude

I have a project for grade 11 physics, i have to create a rocket that reaches precisely 15 m altitude, and all I am given is the thrust profile of the engine (force(N) vs time(s) graph)

It is an Estes A8-5 engine

i have used calculus to integrate and find the impulse, which is 2.50N*s, total burn time is 0.7s

im stuck, i can't find the mass without the acceleration, i can't find the acceleration without the final velocity after burn.

ive tried everything i can think of, even energy problems, can't seem to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you supposed to come up with? Mass of rocket?

Final velocity is zero, right, if it's supposed to go just 15m? And is that miles or meters?

A critical question is whether you need to take into account the reduction in fuel mass during ascent. If so, you need to develop and solve the differential equation for a rocket. Otherwise, energy should be the way. you know the total energy the rocket delivers, and you know the height to be reached.

1. How do you calculate the mass of a rocket to reach 15 m altitude?

The mass of a rocket can be calculated using the rocket equation, which takes into account the mass of the propellant, the specific impulse of the rocket engine, and the change in velocity needed to reach the desired altitude. By rearranging the equation, the mass of the rocket can be solved for.

2. What is the specific impulse of a rocket engine?

The specific impulse of a rocket engine is a measure of its efficiency. It is defined as the thrust produced by the engine per unit of propellant flow rate. It is typically measured in seconds and can vary depending on the type of fuel and engine design.

3. How do you determine the change in velocity needed to reach 15 m altitude?

The change in velocity, or delta-v, can be calculated by considering the initial velocity of the rocket at launch and the final velocity needed to reach 15 m altitude. This can be determined using the rocket equation and taking into account factors such as air resistance and gravitational pull.

4. What is the role of air resistance in calculating the mass of a rocket?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in determining the mass of a rocket needed to reach 15 m altitude. As the rocket moves through the atmosphere, it experiences drag forces that must be overcome in order to reach the desired altitude. This must be taken into account when calculating the mass of the rocket and the amount of propellant needed.

5. How can the mass of a rocket be adjusted to reach different altitudes?

The mass of a rocket can be adjusted by changing the amount of propellant used. By increasing the mass of the propellant, the rocket will have more thrust and be able to reach higher altitudes. However, this will also increase the overall mass of the rocket, so a balance must be struck to achieve the desired altitude while also considering the limitations of the rocket's design and capabilities.