Calculating Angular Acceleration for a Solid Cylinder on a Frictionless Bearing

In summary: My mistake.This, of course, means that the net force on the cylinder is zero, and the tension is the weight of the cylinder. And since the net force is zero, the acceleration is zero, and the angular acceleration is zero. So, the cylinder doesn't move. So, if I were to solve the problem correctly, I would get the same answer as you. Sorry about that!In summary, a solid cylinder with a mass of 1.99 kg and radius of 0.133 m, pivots on a frictionless bearing while a string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force of 8.142 N, equal to the weight of a hanging mass of 0.
Punchlinegirl
M, a solid cylinder (M=1.99 kg, R=0.133 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force of F which equals the weight of a 0.830 kg mass, i.e, F=8.142 N. Calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

I tried drawing a free body diagram and setting the forces equal to ma.
F_n- mg-F_t= Ma_y
since a= 0, F_n= Mg + F_t
torque= RF_t sin 90= Ia
RF_t=Ia
I=(1/2)MR^2
F_t= (1/2)MRa
mg-ma=(1/2)MR(a/R)
(1/2M +m)a= mg
a=mg/ (1/2 M=m)
I plugged in my numbers, but I think the equation is wrong. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Punchlinegirl said:
M, a solid cylinder (M=1.99 kg, R=0.133 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force of F which equals the weight of a 0.830 kg mass, i.e, F=8.142 N. Calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder.
From the problem statement:
{String Tension} = S
{Mass of Suspended Entity} = m = (0.830 kg)
{Weight of Mass} = W = (0.830 kg)*(9.81 m/sec^2) = (8.1423 N)
{Cylinder Mass} = M = (1.99 kg)
{Cylinder Radius} = R = (0.133 m)
{Cylinder Moment of Inertia} = I = (1/2)*M*R^2
{Cylinder Angular Acceleration} = α

For the suspended entity:
{Net Force} = ma =
= W - S
::: ⇒ S = W - ma ::: Eq #1

For the cylinder:
{Net Torque} = Iα = I*a/R =
= S*R
::: ⇒ S = I*a/R^2 ::: Eq #2

Equating Eq #1 and Eq #2:
W - ma = I*a/R^2
::: ⇒ a = W/{m + I/R^2}
::: ⇒ a = W/{m + (1/2)*M*R^2/R^2}
::: ⇒ a = W/{m + (1/2)*M}
::: ⇒ a = (8.1423 N)/{(0.830 kg) + (1/2)*(1.99 kg)}
::: ⇒ a = (4.46153 m/sec^2)
::: ⇒ α = a/R = (4.46153 m/sec^2)/(0.133 m) = (33.545 radians/sec^2)

~~

Punchlinegirl said:
Your first error is in assuming that the string exerts a force equal to the weight of the hanging mass. (If the force were equal, then the mass would be in equilibrium.) But it looks like you don't use this fact later on.

I tried drawing a free body diagram and setting the forces equal to ma.
F_n- mg-F_t= Ma_y
since a= 0, F_n= Mg + F_t
For the cylinder, the only forces you need consider are those that create a torque. Thus the normal force (supporting the cylinder) and the weight of the cylinder are irrelevant; all that counts is the force F that the string exerts.

Applying Newton's 2nd law:
To the cylinder:
[itex]\tau = I\alpha[/itex] --> [itex]F R = I\alpha[/itex]​
To the hanging mass:
[itex]mg - F = ma[/itex]​

torque= RF_t sin 90= Ia
RF_t=Ia
I=(1/2)MR^2
F_t= (1/2)MRa
So far, so good. (a is really alpha)
mg-ma=(1/2)MR(a/R)
(1/2M +m)a= mg
a=mg/ (1/2 M=m)
All good. I assume you meant to write: [itex]a = mg/(M/2 + m)[/itex].
I plugged in my numbers, but I think the equation is wrong. Help?
Did you remember to convert to angular acceleration?

ok, i used the equation and tried converting to angular acceleration by using
a=alpha* r
and got the angular acceleration to be 3.87 rads/s^2, which isn't right...

Alpha is the angular acceleration, you are using your equation backwards :). Solve it for alpha and try it that way.

i have a similar problem to punchlinegirl, and i was wondering how do i find alpha from angular acceleration

trisha320 said:
i have a similar problem to punchlinegirl, and i was wondering how do i find alpha from angular acceleration
Angular acceleration IS "α". You might be thinking of the following relationships:
{Angular Acceleration} = α =
= {Linear Acceleration}/R =
= a/R
{Angular Velocity} = ω =
= {Linear Velocity}/R =
= v/R

Also:
{Angular Velocity} = ω =
= 2*π*{Rotation Frequency} =
= 2*π*f

~~

M=1.99 kg, R=0.133 m, F=8.142 N

I = .5MR^2, T(1) = r x F and T(2) = I x alpha.

Solve for I and then solve T(1) using F given and then once you have both plug into T(2).

Last edited:
The force is equal to the weight of a hanging mass. This doesn't mean that there is actually a mass hanging off of it, it means there is a constant force applied of 8.142N.
Once you see that the problem is simple.
You have the equation T=I*alpha
alpha is angular acceleration which is what you need so just solve for alpha.
alpha=T/I where T is the torque applied and I is the moment of inertia.
T = F*r (when torque is perpendicular)
T = (8.142N) (0.133m)
T= 1.083Nm

Now find I, since it is a solid cylinder
I=(1/2)Mr^2
I = (1/2) (1.99kg) (0.133m)^2
I = 0.0176 kg*m^2

now recall
alpha = T/I
alpha = (1.083Nm)/(.0176kg*m^2)

ALPHA = 61.5 rad/s^2

Felix83 said:
The force is equal to the weight of a hanging mass. This doesn't mean that there is actually a mass hanging off of it, it means there is a constant force applied of 8.142N.
Good point! The problem never mentions a hanging mass, just a mass. I misread the problem. :redface:

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing. It is the rate of change of angular velocity over time and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. While linear acceleration is defined as the rate of change of linear velocity, angular acceleration is defined as the rate of change of angular velocity. The two are related by the equation a = rα, where a is linear acceleration, r is the radius of rotation, and α is angular acceleration.

3. What causes angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is caused by a change in either the magnitude or direction of an object's angular velocity. This can be due to an external force or torque acting on the object, or by changes in the distribution of mass within the object.

4. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is angular acceleration, ωf is final angular velocity, ωi is initial angular velocity, and t is the change in time.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be seen in many everyday activities such as spinning a top, swinging a bat, or riding a bike. It is also present in more complex systems such as the rotation of planets around the sun and the motion of a gyroscope. In these examples, the object's angular velocity is constantly changing, resulting in angular acceleration.