Can exited states exist without a ground state?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of exited states and the ground state in relation to the Klein Gordon and Dirac equations. The question is posed as to whether exited states can exist if the ground state does not exist, and if the exited state would then become the ground state. The response explains that the ground state is the state of lowest energy and if a system has no solutions at all, it is not a valid model. It is also mentioned that it is difficult to understand how a system could have a ground state that does not exist.
Mark_M
Hello everybody,

I have a question which might be silly. Nevertheless: Can exited states exist if you know that the ground state do not exist? Will in such a case first exited state become the ground state?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ground state is the state of lowest energy. How could it not exist?

When I say it does not exists I mean, that under some conditions on vector and scalar potentials, the Klein Gordon or Dirac equation will not have a wave function which corresponds to the ground state. Therefore can we conclude from there that under the same conditions the exited states will not exist?

Mark_M said:
When I say it does not exists I mean, that under some conditions on vector and scalar potentials, the Klein Gordon or Dirac equation will not have a wave function which corresponds to the ground state. Therefore can we conclude from there that under the same conditions the exited states will not exist?

If your system has no solutions at all than it is not a valid model and if it has solutions, than the one(s) with lowest energy will be the ground state. I don't how one could possibly have a system with a ground state that doesn't exist. I can't make sense of your question.

1. What is the difference between ground and excited states?

The ground state of an atom or molecule is its lowest possible energy level, while the excited state is any energy level above the ground state. This means that in the ground state, the electrons are in their most stable configuration, while in the excited state, they have absorbed energy and moved to a higher energy level.

2. How do atoms transition between ground and excited states?

Atoms can transition between ground and excited states through the absorption or emission of energy. This energy can come in the form of light, heat, or other forms of radiation. When an atom absorbs energy, its electrons move to a higher energy level, and when it emits energy, its electrons move back to a lower energy level.

3. How does the energy of an atom change when it transitions between ground and excited states?

The energy of an atom increases when it transitions from the ground state to an excited state, as it absorbs energy. However, this energy is released when the atom transitions back to the ground state, resulting in no overall change in energy.

4. What is the significance of ground and excited states in chemical reactions?

The ground state of an atom is its most stable configuration, and chemical reactions involve the breaking and forming of chemical bonds, which requires energy. The energy from the excited state of an atom can be used to facilitate these reactions, making ground and excited states crucial in understanding and predicting chemical reactions.

5. How can we determine the energy levels of an atom?

The energy levels of an atom can be determined through various spectroscopic techniques, such as absorption or emission spectroscopy. These techniques involve shining light of different wavelengths on the atom and observing the energy transitions that occur. The resulting spectrum can then be used to determine the energy levels of the atom.