Attenuation numerical instability via numerical diss. nonlinear ODE

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed a problem being solved numerically with a spectral model. Stiff equations and numerical instabilities were causing issues, and various solutions were proposed, such as using higher-order numerical schemes, variable time steps, and artificial viscosity. The challenge lies in finding the right approach and parameters for each specific problem.
nickthequick
Hi,

I'm solving a problem numerically that takes the form

[itex] Q_{ij} \ddot{y}_j +S_{ijk}\dot{y}_j\dot{y}_k +V_i=0[/itex],

where [itex] (Q_{ij},S_{ijk},V_i) [/itex] are all functions of the dependent variables [itex]y_i[/itex]. The dependent variables are all functions of the variable t. The resolution of this spectral model is controlled by the number of [itex]y_i[/itex], denoted N.

Now, when these equations become stiff, or I integrate for long times, numerical instability becomes apparent. If I increase the resolution, these spurious growths are attenuated, but it is not feasible to make N large enough so that they don't appear at all.

If one looks at the time history of the higher modes, it seems like their large growth corresponds to the onset of the instability, so I want to attenuate these (un-physical) fast growing components of the solutions.

To this end, I have added a term to the leading order term, so that the equation takes the form

[itex] Q_{ij}( \ddot{y}_j +\nu j^2 \dot{y}_j)+S_{ijk}\dot{y}_j\dot{y}_k +V_i=0[/itex],

where [itex]\nu[/itex] is a numerical viscosity to be prescribed later on. This does an OK job at attenuating the instability (e.g. I get accurate solutions for an twice as long), based on how I choose [itex]\nu[/itex], and the constraints of the problem. I have played around with the power of j as well, and found varying success in different contexts.

The issue is, for long times this scheme breaks down, and the solution greatly deviates from the expected solution, making me think I'm not doing addressing the issue very rationally. Indeed, I am doing all of this very naively, and am having trouble finding similar types of problems in the literature.

Does anyone have experience damping numerical instabilities in equations that take this form? In particular, is there a way to essentially add a dissipation that removes these fast growing modes? References to relevant literature are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Nick,

I have encountered similar issues with numerical instabilities in stiff equations before. One approach that has worked for me is to use a higher-order numerical scheme, such as a Runge-Kutta method, which can better handle stiff equations. Another approach is to use a variable time step, where the step size is adjusted based on the stability of the solution. This can help in cases where the stiffness is not uniform throughout the solution.

In terms of adding dissipation to remove fast growing modes, one method that has been successful in the past is to use artificial viscosity. This involves adding a term to the equations that acts as a source of dissipation, effectively smoothing out the solution and removing any unstable modes. The challenge here is to choose the right amount of artificial viscosity, as too little will not have an effect and too much will overly dampen the solution. There is a lot of literature on this topic, so I would recommend doing some research and perhaps consulting with colleagues or experts in the field to find the best approach for your specific problem.

I hope this helps and good luck with your numerical simulations!

1. What is attenuation numerical instability?

Attenuation numerical instability refers to the phenomenon where numerical errors in solving a system of nonlinear ordinary differential equations (ODEs) grow uncontrollably, leading to inaccurate results. This can happen when the ODE system is highly sensitive to small changes, causing even tiny rounding errors to accumulate and significantly affect the final solution.

2. How does numerical dissipation help with attenuation numerical instability?

Numerical dissipation is a technique used to dampen out high-frequency oscillations in the solution of an ODE system. By adding a dissipative term to the equations, the amplitude of these oscillations is reduced, which helps to stabilize the solution and prevent attenuation numerical instability.

3. Can numerical dissipation completely eliminate attenuation numerical instability?

No, numerical dissipation can only reduce or dampen the effects of attenuation numerical instability. It cannot completely eliminate it, as it is an inherent problem in solving nonlinear ODEs numerically. However, using appropriate numerical methods and carefully selecting the dissipation term can significantly improve the stability of the solution.

4. What are some commonly used numerical methods to deal with attenuation numerical instability?

Some commonly used numerical methods to address attenuation numerical instability include implicit methods, such as the backward differentiation formula (BDF) and the implicit Runge-Kutta method, as well as methods that incorporate dissipation, such as the Lax-Wendroff method and the leapfrog method. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the choice depends on the specific characteristics of the ODE system being solved.

5. How does the choice of initial conditions affect attenuation numerical instability?

The choice of initial conditions can have a significant impact on the occurrence and severity of attenuation numerical instability. If the initial conditions are too close to a singularity or a highly sensitive region, even small errors in the solution can lead to significant deviations. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully choose initial conditions and use appropriate scaling techniques to reduce the effects of attenuation numerical instability.