Calculating the Speed of a Hopper Car After Dumping Coal

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of a railroad hopper car after it empties 50000 kg of coal onto a platform below the tracks. One person suggests using the equation mv(initial) = mv(final) to solve for the final velocity of the car, while another person questions whether there is a force acting on the car and if the time of 4 seconds matters. The conversation also mentions the possibility of an explosion or collision, but ultimately agrees that the velocity of the car should remain unchanged.
huskydc
A railroad hopper car has mass 50000 kg when empty and contains 50000 kg of coal. As it coasts along the track at 10 m/s the hopper opens and steadily releases all the coal onto a platform below the rails over a period of 4 s.

How fast does the car travel after all the coal is dumped?

i applied the mv(initial) = mv (final) equation...

i got something like

(100000 kg) (10m/s) = (50000 kg) V final

apparently it's incorrect, any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is that incorrect? That should be exactly what you get. Now just solve for V.

Technically... shouldn't it travel the same speed? There wasnt a momentum transfer and there's no readily apparent force acting on the car.

Pengwuino said:
Technically... shouldn't it travel the same speed? There wasnt a momentum transfer and there's no readily apparent force acting on the car.
It should pick up speed. The momentum changed. Think of it as a reverse inelastic collision.

But there is no collision, no momentum has changed because there's no force.

The only force I coudl see is if there was one generated by the coal which means a force of 125000 kg*m/s^2 was generated for 4 seconds... which still arrives at 20m/s for some reason... Well I am lost.

momentum is conserved, i kept getting 20 m/s

does the time, 4 sec matter in answering this question?

huskydc said:
does the time, 4 sec matter in answering this question?

It has to... there's some sort of force acting here and I think this is where it occurs (at the 4 seconds). Did you put the whole question in the post?

Pengwuino said:
But there is no collision, no momentum has changed because there's no force.

The only force I coudl see is if there was one generated by the coal which means a force of 125000 kg*m/s^2 was generated for 4 seconds... which still arrives at 20m/s for some reason... Well I am lost.
There is no collision in an explosion (another reverse inelastic collsion), yet momentum changes.

An explosion?

When are the geniuses going to come to this thread and show us how this is actually done?

may i ask what explosion? or collision? the only thing happening is that the cart is dropping off coal..

Pengwuino said:
An explosion?

When are the geniuses going to come to this thread and show us how this is actually done?

Pengwuino said:

Because someone already had the right idea?

Unless the coal is getting launched backwards relative to the hopper car, the velocity does not change. If we assume that the downward movement of the coal is negligble, then the coal is moving at the same velocity as the car when it falls out of the car. A few moments later, it collides with the platform, but it is not longer connected to the train car at that point. The velocity of the car should be unchanged.

See that's what I am saying! I was waiting for someoen to come in and tell one of us that we were right because we had 2 different opinions on what was going on.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a hopper car after dumping coal?

To calculate the speed of a hopper car after dumping coal, you will need to know the distance traveled by the car, the time it took to travel that distance, and the weight of the coal being dumped. You can then use the formula: speed = distance/time to calculate the speed of the hopper car.

2. What is the weight of the coal typically carried by a hopper car?

The weight of coal carried by a hopper car can vary depending on the size and capacity of the car. However, on average, a hopper car can carry between 100-110 tons of coal.

3. How does the weight of the coal affect the speed of the hopper car?

The weight of the coal being carried by the hopper car will affect its speed. The heavier the load, the slower the car will travel due to increased friction and resistance on the tracks. This is why it is important to factor in the weight of the coal when calculating the speed of the hopper car.

4. Is there a maximum speed that a hopper car can reach after dumping coal?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that a hopper car can reach after dumping coal. This speed will depend on various factors such as the weight of the car and the coal, the condition of the tracks, and any speed restrictions in place. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when operating a hopper car to ensure safe and efficient transportation of coal.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the speed of a hopper car after dumping coal?

The accuracy of the speed calculation will depend on the accuracy of the data used. If the distance traveled, time taken, and weight of the coal are all measured accurately, then the calculated speed should be relatively accurate. However, external factors such as wind or uneven tracks may affect the actual speed of the hopper car. It is important to consider all factors and use precise measurements for the most accurate calculation.