Race of humans cannot start with one man and one women?

In summary, the idea of a race of humans starting with only one man and one woman is not biologically impossible, as seen in examples of isolated populations with a small number of founders. However, this does not align with the creationist belief that all species were created by a god in their current form. Evolutionary theory explains the gradual development of species over time, including the first modern humans, and does not require a single pair as the founders of a new species. Additionally, the process of speciation involves more than just a single mutation, and is determined at the population level rather than the individual level. This refutes the notion that a single mutation could create a new species.
pmb_phy
Can someone please explain the reason as to why a race of humans cannot start with one man and one women? This silly idea keeps popping up with creation people and I can't see that this is even what the Bible holds true. But I'd like to hear as to why this can't be true from a biological point of view. I have vague recollections of genetic problems which would make this far from being a viable race. Thanks.

Pete

Biology news on Phys.org
No reason it couldn't happen at a hypothetical level; you'd have a founder effect (lack of genetic variation that can leave the species with difficulty adapting to changes in the environment), but if the environment was stable enough as mutations occurred and variation developed, it's possible. But that's not the contradiction between evolution and creationism. The issue is where the first modern humans (Homo sapiens sapiens) came from. In creationism, they posit that these first humans were created by a god, completely de novo, exactly as they currently appear, within 7 days of the creation of the entire universe (some creationists don't hold as strictly to this time-frame, but still believe that all species were created by god at the same time, exactly as they are now, with no change over time). In evolutionary theory, they came to exist through a progression of changes from ancestral species until they were sufficiently different from the ancestral species to be designated a new species, and it happened much more recently than 7 days after the start of the universe. Evolutionary theory also doesn't require that there were only two first humans in this gradual progression from one species to another, so much of the variation in traits already present in the prior species could be retained in humans, with of course the exception of those traits that distinguish modern humans from their ancestors.

so basically, can we prove that creationism is not accurate because we can look at ancient skulls from human beings and see that they did change instead of having the same form since creation?

blimkie said:
so basically, can we prove that creationism is not accurate because we can look at ancient skulls from human beings and see that they did change instead of having the same form since creation?
That, along with stratification of fossils in different geological layers, is part of the evidence that refutes creationism in favor of evolution.

Minimum population required for racial founding

pmb_phy said:
Can someone please explain the reason as to why a race of humans cannot start with one man and one women?
A biological race can indeed be founded by only one male and one female:
groups.yahoo.com/group/e-l/messages/13925?threaded=1&viscount=7&m=e

if you're just looking for a plausible (although still genetically risky) minimum for a founder group, this article which I posted to the list a little while back might be of interest:
"Genetic tests suggest the Mlabri population descends from just one female and between one and four males, who lived between roughly 500 and 1,000 years ago, the researchers said."
world-science.net/exclusives/050303_mlabrifrm.htm

hitssquad, that first link can only be accessed by members, apparently.

I think pmb_phy meant species, and used race in the common usage of "human race," not in the sense of biological subspecies, but your second link does help illustrate in a real example that the founder effect does not mean humans can't survive. It also helps counter the young-Earth creationist argument by showing that with such a founder effect, even after 500-1000 years, individuals in a population still have nearly identical DNA, so a few thousand years is not enough time for the amount of variation currently observed in the human population as a whole to have developed.

blimkie said:

I personally do not adhere to what others use the term "creationism" to mean. To me it means that God created the universe and he created man and the mechanism that he used to do so is described by evolution.

Pete

I would have thought the minimum and maximum population required to found a race would be 1. Say you define a race as different to another race on the basis it has property X. The first male or female to have property X passes this property on to some of its progeny, who in turn pass it on to some of theirs, etc, etc. If the mutation in question is what differentiates the race from that from which it evolved, then the source of that mutation will always be the founder of that race, no?

El Hombre Invisible said:
I would have thought the minimum and maximum population required to found a race would be 1. Say you define a race as different to another race on the basis it has property X. The first male or female to have property X passes this property on to some of its progeny, who in turn pass it on to some of theirs, etc, etc. If the mutation in question is what differentiates the race from that from which it evolved, then the source of that mutation will always be the founder of that race, no?
First, let's be clear here and not confuse terms. In biology, race and species are different terms. I believe we are really talking about species, so let's use that term.

Second, it isn't that simple. It would take more than a single mutation to create a new species. New species evolve through an accumulation of new traits over time, and are determined to be a species at a population level, not at an individual level. If it is only one individual, it is not a species but a mutant. In hitssquad's example, a new species has not evolved in that tribe due to the founder effect, they are still very definitely human. The example serves to show that the founder effect is not lethal at a population level, not that it necessarily leads to a new species evolving.

pmb_phy said:
I personally do not adhere to what others use the term "creationism" to mean. To me it means that God created the universe and he created man and the mechanism that he used to do so is described by evolution.
Pete

There is certainly a broad spectrum of beliefs about it and your description seems to fit what is sometimes called "theistic evolution". Technically, the term "creationism" could include that, but usually "creationism" refers to an explanation that does not include so-called "macro" evolution (i.e., creationists may agree that species can vary up to a point, but not have larger changes).

Current Intelligent Design advocates are playing a little game by trying to appeal to the broadest range possible...inclusive of both young-earth, man-from-clay creationists all the way across the spectrum to theistic evolutionists.

one reason is that it doesn't give a genetical variation, everyone would almost be genetical identical

Moonbear said:
First, let's be clear here and not confuse terms. In biology, race and species are different terms. I believe we are really talking about species, so let's use that term.
Second, it isn't that simple. It would take more than a single mutation to create a new species. New species evolve through an accumulation of new traits over time, and are determined to be a species at a population level, not at an individual level. If it is only one individual, it is not a species but a mutant. In hitssquad's example, a new species has not evolved in that tribe due to the founder effect, they are still very definitely human. The example serves to show that the founder effect is not lethal at a population level, not that it necessarily leads to a new species evolving.
True, but that's not the question. The question is how many animals are required to start a species, not how many are needed before you call it a species. As I said earlier, if a species is defined by having a property X, then the first animal with property X who has progeny some of whom receive property X and so on and so forth has essentially started a new species, irrespective of whether or not that animal is ever counted among them.

My point was that just having one or two animals with property X does not spell doom for that species, since those animals will mate and have progeny with animals of their (parent) species which do not have property X. Once enough animals have property X and this property effects those animals' fitness, then yes - you can now say "new species". However, the species has still been started with one animal with property X, be it one mutation or a set of mutations, some of which were inherited (I believe this answers your other point).

Zelos said:
one reason is that it doesn't give a genetical variation, everyone would almost be genetical identical
We all are almost genetical identical - more than 98% I think. I read on Nova that we share about 90% with fruitflys.

El Hombre Invisible said:
My point was that just having one or two animals with property X does not spell doom for that species, since those animals will mate and have progeny with animals of their (parent) species which do not have property X. Once enough animals have property X and this property effects those animals' fitness, then yes - you can now say "new species". However, the species has still been started with one animal with property X, be it one mutation or a set of mutations, some of which were inherited (I believe this answers your other point).

Not sure it's so clear cut. What you are describing sounds like the potential start of a speciation event, but you may not get actual speciation unless that subgroup becomes isolated from the parent population and continues to diversify. If the Property X'ers are still breeding with the parent population, then it's still essentially one species (one gene pool), albeit with a more diverse genetic range.

So, if you were able to identify a clear speciation event, you might not be able to tell how many originals there were because those individuals were mixed in the parent population.

Phobos said:
Not sure it's so clear cut. What you are describing sounds like the potential start of a speciation event, but you may not get actual speciation unless that subgroup becomes isolated from the parent population and continues to diversify. If the Property X'ers are still breeding with the parent population, then it's still essentially one species (one gene pool), albeit with a more diverse genetic range.
Yes, but then the species would not emerge and so not be the subject of the question: "could it have emerged from one/two animals?" Only cases where a new species does emerge are relevant.

Phobos said:
So, if you were able to identify a clear speciation event, you might not be able to tell how many originals there were because those individuals were mixed in the parent population.
Well, that's kind of what I was arguing against (although I defeated myself in that argument in my head later), since I was saying that there will be a first animal that has the property X that would later define it as part of that species.

Of course, the argument was incorrect. Say property X consists of mutation A and mutation B. Adam has mutation A, Eve has mutation B, they beget children, several of which have both mutations and so property X.

This disproves my "maximum of one" argument from before, but my "minimum of one" still holds (I think).

1. How can the human race not start with one man and one woman?

The idea that the human race began with one man and one woman is a common misconception. The theory of evolution explains that humans evolved from earlier species over millions of years, rather than being created as a single pair.

2. What evidence supports the theory of evolution over the belief in one man and one woman as the origin of humans?

The theory of evolution is supported by a vast amount of scientific evidence from various fields such as genetics, anthropology, and paleontology. Fossil records show a gradual development of human species over time, and genetic studies show a common ancestry among all humans.

3. How do scientists explain the diversity of races if humans did not begin with one man and one woman?

Race is a social construct and does not have a biological basis. The physical differences among human populations are a result of genetic variations that have accumulated over time due to environmental factors such as climate and geography. Therefore, the diversity of races does not contradict the theory of evolution.

4. What about the story of Adam and Eve in the Bible? Doesn't that support the belief in one man and one woman as the origin of humans?

The story of Adam and Eve in the Bible is a creation myth and is not supported by scientific evidence. It is a religious belief and should not be used to explain the origins of the human race.

5. If humans did not begin with one man and one woman, then how did the human population grow?

The human population grew through the process of evolution, where small changes in genetic traits were passed down from generation to generation. As the population expanded and migrated to different regions, genetic variations continued to accumulate, resulting in the diverse human population we see today.