The meaning of the curvature term

In summary, the FRW equation includes a curvature term, k, which can be either dimensional or dimensionless. The dimensional version has three possible values: >0, <0 or =0, while the dimensionless version is always 1, -1 or 0. This term represents the spatial curvature of the universe and can be normalized using the scale factor, a, or the radius of curvature, R. The Gaussian curvature of spatial slices of constant time is given by k/a^2.
Loro
I just wanted to make sure whether I've understood something correctly

In the FRW equation:

[itex](\frac{ \dot a}{a})^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3} \rho - \frac{k}{a^2}[/itex]

...there is this curvature term. I'm confused about the meaning of this k. Sometimes they say it can ONLY be -1 , 0 or +1. Sometimes they say it's smaller, bigger or equal zero. So can it or can it not be fractional? If it can - what does it mean?

My understanding so far is, that this whole term is the Gaussian curvature:

[itex] \pm \frac{1}{a^2} [/itex]

Where a is the radius of curvature - and it changes with time as the universe expands;

And so k is there just to provide an appropriate sign for the three cases: flat, spherical or hyperbolic geometry.

Am I right, or can it be fractional?

Space news on Phys.org
a is not the radius of curvature, it is the scale factor.

There are two different versions of k that can appear in the RW metric. One has dimension and can be either >0, <0, or =0. This k is equal to 1/R^2 where R is the radius of curvature.

The other version of k is dimensionless. It has been normalized somehow (can't remember exact details). Therefore it is either 1, -1, or 0.

I think that, with the Friedmann equation in the form that you gave, the k has to be the dimensional one. Therefore it is the spatial curvature

One book I have uses kappa for the dimensional one and k for the dimensionless one.

Last edited:
cepheid said:
a is not the radius of curvature, it is the scale factor.
In a closed universe, the scale factor *is* the radius of curvature.
I think that, with the Friedmann equation in the form that you gave, the k has to be the dimensional one. Therefore it is the spatial curvature
I think you are making this more confusing than needed. The term [itex]k/a^2[/itex] gives the spatial curvature -- it is the Gaussian curvature of spatial slices of constant time. In the equation that Loro has written, [itex]k[/itex] is clearly a constant. It is equal to 1, 0, or -1 depending on the geometry.

cepheid said:
The other version of k is dimensionless. It has been normalized somehow (can't remember exact details). Therefore it is either 1, -1, or 0.
There are a couple of ways of doing it. One is to simply redefine [itex]a[/itex] so that the entire term, [itex]k/a^2[/itex] takes on the correct value.

With this definition, the first Friedmann equation as written by Loro remains accurate. But by convention we usually take [itex]a=1[/itex] at the present time, and we don't have the freedom to pick the overall scaling of [itex]a[/itex] if we make that choice.

Another way of doing it is to add a separate "radius of curvature" term, which requires replacing [itex]k[/itex] with, for example, [itex]kR^2[/itex].

Chalnoth said:
There are a couple of ways of doing it. One is to simply redefine [itex]a[/itex] so that the entire term, [itex]k/a^2[/itex] takes on the correct value.

With this definition, the first Friedmann equation as written by Loro remains accurate. But by convention we usually take [itex]a=1[/itex] at the present time, and we don't have the freedom to pick the overall scaling of [itex]a[/itex] if we make that choice.

Another way of doing it is to add a separate "radius of curvature" term, which requires replacing [itex]k[/itex] with, for example, [itex]kR^2[/itex].

I don't think I said anything wrong, you are just talking about the details of the normalization that I couldn't remember. The way I learned it was that[tex]\left(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\right)^2 = \frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho - \frac{1}{a^2\mathcal{R}^2}[/tex]where [itex] \mathcal{R} [/itex] is the radius of curvature at the present day. You can also write this term as [itex]\kappa/a^2[/itex] where [itex] \kappa = 1/\mathcal{R}^2[/itex] and κ is either > 0, or < 0, or = 0. This κ is what I think of as the "spatial curvature." This [itex]\mathcal{R}[/itex] is the thing that appears in the RW metric, i.e. [tex] ds^2 = dt^2 - a^2(t)[dr^2 +\mathcal{R}^2 \sin^2(r/\mathcal{R})(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta d\phi^2)][/tex]

Now the book I have then takes a couple of other extra steps. First, you can apparently replace your co-moving radial distance coordinate "r" with co-moving angular diameter distance r1 instead, where [itex] r_1 = \mathcal{R}\sin(r/\mathcal{R}) [/itex]. With this substitution, the metric apparently becomes[tex] ds^2 = dt^2 - a^2(t)\left[\frac{dr_1^2}{1 - \kappa r_1^2} +r_1^2(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta d\phi^2)\right][/tex]The final substitution that the book mentions is that you rescale your radial distance coordinate so that r22 = κr12. Then the metric becomes [tex] ds^2 = dt^2 - R_1^2(t)\left[\frac{dr_2^2}{1 - k r_2^2} +r_2^2(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta d\phi^2)\right][/tex] where k = +1, 0, or -1 for universes with spherical, flat, and hyperbolic geometries respectively. The book points out that under this rescaling, [itex]R_1(t) = \mathcal{R}a(t) [/itex] so that at the present day, the value of your "scale factor" R1 is [itex]\mathcal{R}[/itex] rather than unity. So I can understand what you mean by the scale factor representing the curvature after this normalization has been done. The stuff I outlined above was the basis for what I said in my first post.

cepheid said:
I don't think I said anything wrong,
No, I was just trying to clarify.

Thank you all,

The explanation of Cepheid clarifies that a lot. When I look at my notes now, that's actually exactly what my lecturer did, but then I have in my notes that [itex]\frac{1}{R^2}[/itex] is either ±1 or 0, which is obviously wrong...

So in one form of the metric (one using the same units for all coordinates) there's [itex]\kappa = \frac{1}{R^2}[/itex] , and when we for some reason rescale our radial coordinate we get the other k = ±1 or 0 .

1. What is the meaning of the curvature term in physics?

The curvature term in physics refers to a mathematical expression that describes the curvature of space-time in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is represented by the Ricci tensor, which takes into account the distribution of matter and energy in space-time and how it affects the geometry of the universe.

2. How does the curvature term affect the behavior of objects in space?

The curvature term plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of objects in space. It dictates how objects move and interact with each other, as well as the overall structure and evolution of the universe. The presence of matter and energy causes curvature in space-time, which in turn affects the motion of objects through the force of gravity.

3. Is the curvature term related to the concept of gravity?

Yes, the curvature term is directly related to the concept of gravity. In Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between objects, but rather a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the distribution of matter and energy. The more matter and energy present in a certain area, the more curvature there is, and the stronger the gravitational force.

4. Can the curvature term be observed or measured?

Yes, the curvature term can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, is a direct result of the curvature of space-time. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, has been observed and confirmed through astronomical observations. Additionally, the effects of curvature can also be measured through the precise measurement of the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies.

5. How does the curvature term relate to the shape of the universe?

The curvature term is closely linked to the shape of the universe. In Einstein's theory of general relativity, the shape of the universe is determined by the amount and distribution of matter and energy. The curvature term plays a crucial role in this determination, as it describes the curvature of space-time, which ultimately affects the overall shape of the universe. Depending on the amount of matter and energy present, the universe can have a positive, negative, or zero curvature, resulting in a spherical, saddle-shaped, or flat universe, respectively.