How can I protect my DC series motor starter from frequent damage?

In summary, the conversation is about a screw type air compressor that is used in locomotives and is powered by a DC series motor. The control circuit includes pressure switch and temperature switch, but the motor has been frequently burning out. The motor is rated at 110 volts, 210 amps, and 1500 speed and is started directly. The conversation also discusses the use of fuses and suggests using a soft starter to prevent overload. The conversation also mentions the use of a series motor without a load, causing it to increase in speed and damage the bearing and fan ventilator. Troubleshooting suggestions are provided, including using a smaller fuse closer to the motor's full load amp rating and ensuring proper pressure regulation.
noreldaim
we have an air comprissor screw type driven by dc serise motor direct start it use in locomotive the control circut inclode pressure switch and tempratue switch but alway we have problem in it many times the motor burnt.
The motor is from simo company
Rated volt 110
Rated current 210
Rated speed 1500
Starting mode direct start

Please help me to protect it

There is no circuit breaker in the power circit but fuse of 350 ampere and always the motor damage and the fuse still ok

at last is it better to direct start or use starter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
the air screw is L2.4/10 SCREW AIR COMPRESSOR

fuse of 350 ampere and always the motor damage and the fuse still ok

If i found correct links
that's an 18.5 hp compressor with a 30 hp motor.
And you aren't blowing fuses?
At first glance it sounds more like a compressor overload problem than a motor starting problem.

Have you watched this thing start? Does the motor struggle or smoke?
Is it equipped with an ammeter?
Are there a flow gage and a pressure gage on compressor discharge?

thank you jim

Yes it is 18.5kw motor and didnt blowing fuse
they used 350ampere for staring purpse and when the overload happen it damage the motor
so i am thinking about softstarter to prevent overload

The system consist of to air compressor in locomotive for breaking purpose
The control circuit consist of :
Pressure switch and temperatuer switch and these two NC piont connected with dc contactor coil
The power circuit:
just only the main contactor contac

So le us begin to improve and develop these two circuit

Than you Mr jim

Is the motor consistently burning out during starting? Or just at any random time during operation?

When the motor "burns out" are you having it repaired each time, or replaced? If repaired, what is the repair involved, precisely?

No it doesn't burn during starting but it burn at any random time 
And we just replace it by new one we replace 12th motor!
sometimes it just only damage not burn
Bcuz the screw blocked and broken then as it is serise dc motor running without load its speed increase rapidly and brocken the bearing and fan ventilator

No it doesn't burn during starting but it burn at any random time
And we just replace it by new one we replace 12th motor!
Bcuz the screw blocked and broken then as it is serise dc motor running without load its speed increase rapidly and broken the bearing and fan ventilator

Well now it's getting interesting ! Troubleshooting !

I assume braking air is mighty important. Are there redundant compressors on the locomotive? Or are all the locomotives on a train connected by the brake air line?

serise dc motor running without load its speed increase rapidly and brocken the bearing and fan ventilator

Yes, a series motor that loses its load will speed up and destroy itself by centrifugal force. That's why you NEVER use one in a belt drive application.
Series motors draw horriific starting current and you probably have ample current available on a locomotive.

Bussman's site was down this morning, i wanted to direct you to their "Fuseology" .
Here's their motor protection guide
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resources/Solution%20Center/technical_library/BUS_Ele_Tech_Lib_Motor_Protection_Tables.pdf

Looking at last page, 159, for heavy start DC motors in your 210 amps current range , they indeed suggest the 300 amp fuse as "optimum", 350 maximum.
Can you look and see if your locomotive has one of these types,
Bussman LPJ, LPN, FRS ? That'd indicate somebody knowledgeable selected them.

Looking at their datasheets they all have pretty good let-through current for motor starting, and that's what they are designed for.

First thing i'd try is a fuse that's closer to motor's full load amp rating. A 200 amp FRS fuse will pass 1000 amps for about fifteen seconds, is that long enough time to start the motor?

If so i'd try a Bussman LPS or FRS 250 amp and see if the motor starts.
That smaller fuse will give the motor better overload protection.
That 350 amp is sized more to protect the branch circuit against short circiuts than to protect the motor against overloads.

Study these fuse datasheets:
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resources/Data%20Sheets/Bus_Ele_DS_1018_FRS-R(65-600)A.pdf

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resources/Data%20Sheets/Bus_Ele_DS_1020_FRN-R(70-600A).pdf

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resources/Data%20Sheets/Bus_Ele_DS_1004_LPN-RK_70-600A.pdf

in particular the time-current graphs. As you see a fuse designed to protect motor windings will tolerate surprising overloads. But so will a motor.
That's unlike a fuse designed to protect semiconductors, which have a reputation for being pretty effective fuse protectors..

That 350 amp recommendation for branch circuit assumes there's another overload protector between it and the motor, which is not your case.
Let's see if we can improve your overload protection first off.

Then figure out why the motor is being overloaded.
Does the pressure switch shut off the compressor at correct pressure?
Is there an ammeter for that motor?

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
PS those headlamps on the front of locomotives - where would i buy a few?

They'd make great off-road lights.

old jim

noreldaim said:
Bcuz the screw blocked and broken then as it is serise dc motor running without load its speed increase rapidly and broken the bearing and fan ventilator
For how many minutes does the motor typically operate once it has started, before it switches off? How long can it be expected to then stay off before it restarts?

So the source of the problem is fundamentally that the compressor seizes and/or disintegrates, precipitating the motor into major overspeed?

thanx old jim

Run .. stop and restart:

Mr oxygen ur quest is so inprtant like ur name
:)
thanks for direct our attention to zis point
Here is the air system procedure:

Two typical air screw comporessor
Used to deliver the air to two main resirvoir their capacity 900Mpa
The 1st one starting and after five second followed by the other
And when the air decreased to about 750Mpa the system start again
But always the air doesn't stable at 900MPa even we don't use the handle brake! Bcuz we have air leakage in the wagons' air tubes
So our two motors have no rest
And always when the train leave the workshop we keep our fingers cross hopping the locomotive reaching its gaol safely!

Is it useful to connect shunt free wheeling diode to series dc motor?

NascentOxygen said:
So the source of the problem is fundamentally that the compressor seizes and/or disintegrates, precipitating the motor into major overspeed?
Is this correct?

When you replace the motor, do you also need to replace the compressor or part of the drive to the compressor?

almost we maintenance the mechanical screw part and use it again but even we replace the whole system by new one the problem still exist!

Hot sick motor!

I guess i found the source of the problem as there is a leakage in the air system
The motor work, the resirvoir pressure become 900Mpa , and the pressure switch open the circuit
But as there is leakage in the air system , the air in the resirvoir decrease , when the air became 750Mpa the pressure switch close and the motor start again , so this procedure make the motor always works with huge starting current , thus the motor's coils became more hot and burn ,

there is another reason , the two air resirvoirs are standing near front of the system, take into account the air drier system not working, and when you drain them the humidity increase and affect the performance of the motor,

Am i true?

The question now is there any method to monitor the motor's coil temperature?

Note:

We have tempratue sensor but it been inserted in side the lubricating oil of the male and female screw not the motor's coils

Even were it possible to monitor the motor's temperature, it can't be an ideal solution. Disconnecting power to the compressor's motor will mean the loco is brought to a halt while the motor cools: an inconvenience that invites an exasperated crew to look for a way to defeat that lockout.

It should be feasible to monitor the shaft's RPM and disconnect power in the event the revs exceed some level, but that's still not solving the underlying problem.

Old jim advise...
Imagie ur self apart of the probem
this is a good strategy to imagine your self inside the problem
Now i am imagine myself the dc series motor it self!

But we need mechanical engineer to sacrifice and imagine him self
the screw! To tell us what happen inside exatly

some times the temperature switch placed inside the oil‏ didnt open the circuit when the temperature reach 130C
now i am thinkig to insert two temperature switch conected in series if one of the not work the other open the circuit

1. What is a DC series motor starter?

A DC series motor starter is a type of electrical device used to start and control the speed of a DC series motor. It consists of a series of resistors, switches, and a magnetic contactor that are connected in series with the motor windings.

2. How does a DC series motor starter work?

A DC series motor starter works by limiting the amount of current flowing through the motor windings. When the starter is turned on, the resistors are gradually bypassed, allowing more current to flow and increasing the motor speed. As the motor reaches its desired speed, the resistors are fully bypassed and the contactor is closed, providing full power to the motor.

3. What are the advantages of using a DC series motor starter?

Some advantages of using a DC series motor starter include its simplicity, low cost, and ability to provide smooth and precise speed control. It also allows for easy reversing of the motor direction and can be used in a wide range of applications.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of a DC series motor starter?

One potential drawback of a DC series motor starter is its limited speed range. It is also less efficient than other types of motor starters and can produce a significant amount of heat, which may require additional cooling measures. Additionally, the resistors in the starter may need to be periodically replaced or adjusted.

5. What are some common applications of DC series motor starters?

DC series motor starters are commonly used in applications where precise speed control is needed, such as in industrial machinery, electric vehicles, and elevators. They are also used in applications where a constant torque is required, such as in conveyor systems and cranes.