Very confused about this seemingly simple probability question

In summary, the conversation is discussing strategies for maximizing the expected amount of a commodity given a certain amount of money and the possibility of fluctuating prices. The suggested strategy involves setting up a random variable, Y, to represent the amount of commodity purchased and using the function E(g(x)). The conversation also explores the idea of buying some of the commodity at the beginning and waiting for a price change to buy more, but it is unclear if this is the most effective strategy.
JasonJo
you have $1000 and a certain commodity costs $2 an ounce. Suppose that after 1 week, there is a 50% that the commodity will cost $1 and a 50% that the commodity will cost $4.

i already know how to do the expected value of cash, but

(b) If your objective is to maximize the expected amount of commodity that you possesses at the end of the week, what strategy should you employ?

my professor said setup a random variable Y. but he said the random variable Y represents the amount of commodity i buy today, but means, just buy 500 ounces of the commodity to maximize it.

he also hinted that this answer will involve E(g(x))

any help or helpful hints?

so Y = {250, 500, 1000}
but i don't understand how g(x) or how you calculate P(y=Y)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but it looks like to maximize the amount of the commodity you possess, you shouldn't buy all of it at the beginning. For example, if you waited until the end of the week and then spent all of your money to buy as much as you could, there's a 50% chance you'll get 1000 and a 50% chance you'll get 250, for an expected amount of 525, better than the 500 you get from buying first. I don't know if this is the best you can do, though.

yeah i got E(Y) = 625 (500 + 125)

but, wht about this?

you buy some when it is $2 per ounce and then you wait till the price changes and then buy more?

ugh, he said it was easy lol

1. What is the probability of flipping a coin and getting heads?

The probability of getting heads when flipping a coin is 1/2 or 0.5. This is because there are two possible outcomes (heads or tails) and each has an equal chance of occurring.

2. If I flip a coin and get heads 3 times in a row, what is the probability of getting tails on the next flip?

The probability of getting tails on the next flip is still 1/2 or 0.5. Each flip is independent and the previous outcomes do not affect the future outcomes.

3. How do I calculate the probability of rolling a 6 on a fair die?

The probability of rolling a 6 on a fair die is 1/6 or approximately 0.167. This is because there are six possible outcomes (numbers 1-6) and each has an equal chance of occurring.

4. Is it possible to have a probability greater than 1?

No, it is not possible to have a probability greater than 1. A probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means that the event is impossible. Any value between 0 and 1 represents a likelihood or chance of the event occurring.

5. How does the sample size affect the probability?

The sample size can affect the probability in certain situations, but not always. For example, if you are flipping a coin, the probability of getting heads is still 1/2 regardless of how many times you flip it. However, if you are drawing cards from a deck, the probability of drawing a specific card will change as the sample size decreases (since there are fewer cards in the deck). In general, as the sample size increases, the probability will approach the theoretical probability.