How Do Light Rays and Mirror Equations Affect Image Formation?

In summary: A ray of light strikes a mirror at an angle of 550 to the normal. The angle of reflection is 550 to the normal.
banana44
hey guys i really need help with these problems.I am not good with physics at all, i just need this to graduate . I really don't understand it and my teacher isn't much help. If anyone can help me out with this i would really appericiate it.
Thank you.

1.Why are parallel light rays used to show the difference between regular and diffuse reflection?
2.List some situations where the letters on signs are reversed. Explain why it is being done.
3.As the object is moved along the principle axis toward the vertex of a concave mirror, the type of image changes. Where does the change in type of image occur? Explain why, in terms of the path of the light rays.
4.Explain the difference between a real and virtual image.
5.Explain why concave mirrors can produce real or virtual image, but convex mirrors can produce only virtual image.
6.Concave mirrors are used in searchlights and solar ovens. Draw two diagrams to show the path of light in each case, and explain why these two applications demonstrate the principle of the reversibility of light.
7.Describe the similarities and differences of the properties of the images formed in a plain mirror and a convex mirror. Why are convex mirrors used for security purposes in stores, rather than plane mirrors?
8.Usha wants to take a picture of her own image in a plane mirror. At what distance should the camera lens be focussed if it is positioned 2.3 m in front of the mirror?
9.A ray of light strikes a mirror at an angle of 550 to the normal.
a)What is the angle of reflection?
b)What is the angle between the incident ray and the reflected ray?
10.A ray of light strikes a mirror at an angle of 570 to the mirror surface. What is the angle between the incident ray and the reflected ray?
11.What is the angle of incidence if the angle between the reflected ray and the mirror surface is 340?
12.Light is shining on to a plane mirror at an angle of incidence of 270. If the plain mirror is tilted such that the angle of incidence is reduce by 80, what will be the total change in the angel of reflection from the original reflected light?

Likes fidaa ali
Science news on Phys.org
The mutual silence here speaks volumes...you need to read your textbook! :)

Severian596 said:
The mutual silence here speaks volumes...you need to read your textbook! :)

yeah but if someone doesn't understanding a subject; doesn't matter how much they read the textbook.
Isnt that why this site was made? to help people understand the work ?

banana44 said:
hey guys i really need help with these problems.I am not good with physics at all, i just need this to graduate . I really don't understand it and my teacher isn't much help. If anyone can help me out with this i would really appericiate it.
Thank you.
The homework forums are to help people who are stuck on problems - not just an answers in the back generator. Here are some hints.

1.Why are parallel light rays used to show the difference between regular and diffuse reflection?
In diffuse reflections the light bounces off at all angles.

2.List some situations where the letters on signs are reversed. Explain why it is being done.
Do FIRE engines in your country have ERIF painted on the front? How do you see vehicles behind you in a car?

3.As the object is moved along the principle axis toward the vertex of a concave mirror, the type of image changes. Where does the change in type of image occur? Explain why, in terms of the path of the light rays.
Look up the diagram for a concave mirror showing rays from in front/at/behind the focus.

4.Explain the difference between a real and virtual image.
Screen

5.Explain why concave mirrors can produce real or virtual image, but convex mirrors can produce only virtual image.
To get a real image rays must converge - draw the rays hitting each type of mirror.

6.Concave mirrors are used in searchlights and solar ovens. Draw two diagrams to show the path of light in each case, and explain why these two applications demonstrate the principle of the reversibility of light.
Focus a parallel beam at a point or produce a parralel bema from a point.

7.Describe the similarities and differences of the properties of the images formed in a plain mirror and a convex mirror. Why are convex mirrors used for security purposes in stores, rather than plane mirrors?
What range of angles can you refelct from the mirror

8.Usha wants to take a picture of her own image in a plane mirror. At what distance should the camera lens be focussed if it is positioned 2.3 m in front of the mirror?
The image is the same distance behind the mirror that the object is in front.
9.A ray of light strikes a mirror at an angle of 550 to the normal.
a)What is the angle of reflection?
b)What is the angle between the incident ray and the reflected ray?
10.A ray of light strikes a mirror at an angle of 570 to the mirror surface. What is the angle between the incident ray and the reflected ray?
11.What is the angle of incidence if the angle between the reflected ray and the mirror surface is 340?
12.Light is shining on to a plane mirror at an angle of incidence of 270. If the plain mirror is tilted such that the angle of incidence is reduce by 80, what will be the total change in the angel of reflection from the original reflected light?
I assume the extra 0 on each of these is a deg symbol?
All you need to know is that if you draw a line from the mirror outward at 90deg to the surface (called a normal) the light reflects with the same angle from this line that it had when it arrived - bit on the other side.

1. What is the mirror equation?

The mirror equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the distance of an object from a mirror, the distance of its image from the mirror, and the focal length of the mirror. It can be written as 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the object distance, i is the image distance, and f is the focal length of the mirror.

2. What is the significance of the mirror equation?

The mirror equation is important because it allows us to calculate the position and size of an image formed by a mirror, given the object distance and focal length. This is useful in understanding how mirrors work and how to use them in practical applications such as in telescopes, cameras, and other optical devices.

3. Can the mirror equation be applied to curved mirrors?

Yes, the mirror equation can be applied to both concave and convex mirrors, as long as they have a spherical shape. However, for non-spherical mirrors, a more complex equation called the mirror formula is used.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the reflected light ray?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle between the incident light ray and the normal line (a line perpendicular to the surface of the mirror), is equal to the angle of reflection, which is the angle between the reflected light ray and the normal line. This is known as the law of reflection and it holds true for all types of mirrors.

5. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a certain point, allowing an image to be projected onto a screen. This is the case for concave mirrors when the object is placed beyond the focal point. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to converge at a certain point, but do not actually do so. This is the case for convex mirrors and for concave mirrors when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror.