Cockroft Walton: Full Wave vs. Half wave?

• Thread starter wil3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary: Maybe try a lower voltage version first?In summary, the conversation discusses building a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier for a school project, and the potential use of a square wave drive for efficiency. The topic of safety precautions and UL regulations is also mentioned. The main question is about the output DC waveform and the difference a full wave design makes. The idea of using a flyback transformer from an old TV for a safer and more efficient solution is suggested. The importance of understanding safety precautions and starting with a lower voltage version is emphasized.
wil3
Hello. For a school project I am building a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier designed to be run on 120V conventional household current.

I am aware that the output is DC, but does the waveform have any peculiarities if I run the multiplier on sinusoidal AC? It seems like I would only get a linear output DC voltage if I fed it a square wave.

Also, what advantages are there to making a full wave circuit instead of half wave? My only objective is to make a really pretty spark, and I am curious what benefit the full wave version brings.

Thank you very much in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
wil3 said:
Hello. For a school project I am building a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier designed to be run on 120V conventional household current.

I am aware that the output is DC, but does the waveform have any peculiarities if I run the multiplier on sinusoidal AC? It seems like I would only get a linear output DC voltage if I fed it a square wave.

Also, what advantages are there to making a full wave circuit instead of half wave? My only objective is to make a really pretty spark, and I am curious what benefit the full wave version brings.

Thank you very much in advance.

Two comments. First, yes, a square wave drive will be more efficient (I don't know about more "linear"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockcroft–Walton_generator

Second, there are a bunch of safety issues (both shock and fire) that need to be addressed in a project like this. Do you have an experienced advisor for this project? Are safety issues addressed in your project proposal write-up? Could you post that section of your proposal here please?

Are you familiar with the UL rules for working with 120Vrms AC Mains voltage supplies? Which ones apply to this project of yours?

Dear Berkeman:

I can tell you are courting this thread for possibly being locked. Please note that I am in no way asking for advice as to how to specifically create this device, nor am I in anyway advocating this project or explaining how to do it.

That said, I will freely admit that I do not have the UL rules memorized. I do, however, have substantial experience working with mains current, and I am fully aware of the safety precautions necessary. My supervisor is more than qualified to supervise this project.

My question is purely theoretical: What does the output DC waveform look like, and what is the difference that a full wave design makes? I would appreciate an answer.

wil3 said:
Dear Berkeman:

I can tell you are courting this thread for possibly being locked. Please note that I am in no way asking for advice as to how to specifically create this device, nor am I in anyway advocating this project or explaining how to do it.

That said, I will freely admit that I do not have the UL rules memorized. I do, however, have substantial experience working with mains current, and I am fully aware of the safety precautions necessary. My supervisor is more than qualified to supervise this project.

My question is purely theoretical: What does the output DC waveform look like, and what is the difference that a full wave design makes? I would appreciate an answer.

Well, I think you slipped up a bit and admitted that you do intend to try to build it:

My only objective is to make a really pretty spark

On your main question, though, I'm only aware of one C-W multiplier topology (there could be two). Could you post a link to the two topologies? And are there no links with the output waveforms? The link I posted briefly discusses output ripple, but is not very complete. I didn't look to see if there are links out of that wikipedia article that might have more info. The only time I've used a C-W multiplier was for a He-Ne laser tube, many years ago. And yes, it was built to UL standards (but not approved obviously, since it was a 1-off project for me).

with no load, your output voltage will be pure DC, regardless of weather you use a sine wave or square wave source. Also if you are looking to make sparks with it, I would suggest not using as low a voltage as mains. A better solution would be to use the flyback transformer out of an old tv (the AC type) otherwise you are looking at dozens of stages to create the voltage needed to break down air. This is also a safer solution dispite the higher input voltage for a few reasons: 1: TV flyback transformers don't produce very much current, unlike mains voltage. 2: Your circuit is isolated from mains power which means there is less chance of getting a HV to ground shock 3:The flyback transformer operates at high frequency which means you can get away using much smaller capacitors in your circuit, which translates into much less stored energy and a safer circuit. Be careful and if you are not 100% clear with the safety precautions that should be exercised with this circuit, don't build it.

1. What is a Cockroft Walton generator?

A Cockroft Walton generator is a type of voltage multiplier circuit used to produce high voltages from a low voltage AC source. It is commonly used in particle accelerators and other high voltage applications.

2. What is the difference between a full wave and half wave Cockroft Walton generator?

A full wave Cockroft Walton generator uses both the positive and negative cycles of the AC input to produce a higher output voltage, while a half wave Cockroft Walton generator only uses one of the cycles. This results in a higher output voltage for the full wave generator.

3. Which type of Cockroft Walton generator is more efficient?

The full wave Cockroft Walton generator is more efficient because it uses both cycles of the AC input, resulting in a higher output voltage with less ripple.

4. What are the advantages of using a half wave Cockroft Walton generator?

One advantage of a half wave Cockroft Walton generator is that it is simpler and cheaper to construct compared to a full wave generator. It also has a lower output voltage, which may be more suitable for certain applications.

5. Can a Cockroft Walton generator be used for DC output?

No, a Cockroft Walton generator is designed to convert AC input to a higher AC output voltage. It cannot be used to produce a DC output. However, the AC output can be rectified to DC using a diode bridge or other rectification circuit.