Looking for good books about real scientists

• Thread starter Prodigalvanic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for books to replace TV watching with stories about scientists. They are specifically looking for books with character development and novel length, such as memoirs, diaries, biographies, or fiction based on true stories. They mention wanting to learn and be inspired, and specifically mention wanting to read about Louis de Broglie. They have tried searching for famous names at the library but have not had much success. One suggestion is the book "Surely You're Joking" by Feynman, and another is "Enrico Fermi: The Master Scientist" by Enrico Fermi's wife.
Prodigalvanic
Hello Physics Forum! I'm happy to join you.

I would like to replace my distracting TV watching with something to keep me focused on my goals. My idea is to read stories about scientists. Please suggest books that tell really personal stories about scientists. They need to have character development and be of novel length so I can get into them like a TV show.
I'm thinking memoirs, diaries, biographies, or fiction based on a true story. I want to fall in love with characters, be inspired, and learn something too!

Louis de Broglie died 90 days before I was born so something on him would be superb.
I have tried putting famous names in the keyword and subject search at the library and that is a poor method.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got "Surely You're Joking" and "Why Do You Care What Other People Think?" by Feynman on cd like a year or so ago was a very good "read".

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some good books about real scientists?

There are many great books about real scientists, but some popular choices include "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" by Oliver Sacks, and "The Gene: An Intimate History" by Siddhartha Mukherjee.

2. Are there any books specifically about female scientists?

Yes, there are several books that highlight the accomplishments of female scientists, such as "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly, "Headstrong: 52 Women Who Changed Science-and the World" by Rachel Swaby, and "Lab Girl" by Hope Jahren.

3. Are there any books about lesser-known or underrated scientists?

Absolutely! Some lesser-known scientists who have been featured in books include Rosalind Franklin in "Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA" by Brenda Maddox, Mary Anning in "Remarkable Creatures" by Tracy Chevalier, and Charles Drew in "Blood Work" by Holly Tucker.

4. Are there any books that focus on the personal lives of scientists?

Yes, there are many books that not only discuss the scientific achievements of individuals, but also delve into their personal lives. Some examples include "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson, "The Double Helix" by James D. Watson, and "The Disappearing Spoon" by Sam Kean.

5. Can you recommend any books that explore the ethical dilemmas faced by scientists?

Sure, there are several thought-provoking books that examine the ethical challenges that scientists must navigate. Some notable titles include "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "The Emperor of All Maladies" by Siddhartha Mukherjee, and "The Moral Lives of Animals" by Dale Peterson.