Einstein's Gravity: Challenging the Traditional Concept of Forces

• Thread starter ender_88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of gravity and whether it can be interpreted as Einstein's Gravity. The participants also question the traditional understanding of gravity as a force and suggest alternative explanations involving space-time and stress. The conversation also touches on the role of time in general relativity and the use of classical versus quantum theories.
ender_88
Feel free to entertain the following idea. Please feel free to poke holes in my thought
process, but keep in mind there are other ways to tell whether a balloon is filled with water
or air other than popping it. I’ve taken a few college level engineering physics classes so feel
free to post your replies as technical as you want.

Gravity isn’t a force. Forces have two dimensions, magnitude and direction, while gravity

appears to act more like a stress, which has magnitude and direction along with an area but

in this case it’s a volume of space.

Can this be interpreted as Einstein’s Gravity?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
ender_88 said:
Feel free to entertain the following idea. Please feel free to poke holes in my thought
process, but keep in mind there are other ways to tell whether a balloon is filled with water
or air other than popping it. I’ve taken a few college level engineering physics classes so feel
free to post your replies as technical as you want.

Gravity isn’t a force. Forces have two dimensions, magnitude and direction, while gravity

appears to act more like a stress, which has magnitude and direction along with an area but

in this case it’s a volume of space.

Can this be interpreted as Einstein’s Gravity?
If you mean general relativity then no, why has the time not been taken into consideration ? GR essentially proposes gravity to be a property of space-time.Gravity is not a force,you're right that was the idea of Newtonian physics.GR is all about reference frames... one of the postulates is that: If a reference frame is uniformly accelerated relative to a Galilean one,then the body would be considered at rest due to uniform gravitational field.

Regards,
ibysaiyan

ibysaiyan said:
If you mean general relativity then no, why has the time not been taken into consideration ? GR essentially proposes gravity to be a property of space-time.Gravity is not a force,you're right that was the idea of Newtonian physics.GR is all about reference frames... one of the postulates is that: If a reference frame is uniformly accelerated relative to a Galilean one,then the body would be considered at rest due to uniform gravitational field.

Regards,
ibysaiyan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The way I see it is that space is the fabric and time is the pattern that forms a uniform grid when mass isn’t present. When mass is present it distorts the uniform pattern, kind of like if a vat of molten metal solidified at the center of the vat first creating tension on its surroundings.

Gravity isn’t the force two objects exert on each other; it’s the stress in the space/time grid created by the tension of the distortion. Space/time gravitates matter in a reverse osmosis pattern, moving from volumes of less density to volumes of higher density, in order to keep as much equilibrium (i.e uniformity of the space/time grid) as possible. Almost like space/time is trying to isolate the disturbance created by masses.

thanks for your last response

-ender-

Last edited:
Am I thinking too classically?

ender_88 said:
Am I thinking too classically?

GR is a classical theorem (i.e. not quantum). You are kind of right but you need 4 dimensions and a (- +++) metric signature. The Stress-Energy Tensor which describes the source of gravity is a rank 2 tensor (4 X 4 in 4D) the T00 element is the energy density, and the diagonals are momentum flow, which is a pressure.

1. What is Einstein's theory of gravity?

Einstein's theory of gravity, also known as the General Theory of Relativity, is a mathematical framework that explains the force of gravity as a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. It is a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of gravity compared to Newton's theory.

2. How does Einstein's theory of gravity differ from Newton's theory?

Unlike Newton's theory, which describes gravity as a force between masses, Einstein's theory of gravity takes into account the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. This allows for a more accurate prediction of the motion of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as those near black holes.

3. How did Einstein come up with his theory of gravity?

Einstein developed his theory of gravity through years of research and thought experiments. He was inspired by the work of physicists such as Isaac Newton and James Clerk Maxwell, as well as his own theories on space and time. He also conducted experiments and used mathematical equations to test and refine his ideas.

4. What are some real-world applications of Einstein's theory of gravity?

Einstein's theory of gravity has been confirmed through numerous observations and experiments. It has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, where it helps us understand the behavior of large-scale objects like galaxies and black holes. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as GPS, which relies on precise measurements of time and space.

5. Has Einstein's theory of gravity ever been proven wrong?

Einstein's theory of gravity has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations, and it remains the best explanation for the force of gravity we have today. However, some aspects of the theory are still being studied and refined, and it may be modified or expanded upon in the future as our understanding of the universe continues to evolve.