Easy delta/epsilon proof of a multivariable limit

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with an epsilon/delta proof for a multivariable limit and seeking help. The limit is evaluated to be 1/2, but the person is unable to prove it. There is a discussion about the steps taken to prove the limit, including the use of the triangle inequality and the argument of choosing a point inside a circle with a certain radius to verify the limit. However, it is pointed out that this argument is incorrect. The correct approach is to choose a point inside a circle with a smaller radius than the given epsilon.
pureza
Hi,

I'm trying to wrap my head around epsilon/delta proofs for multivariable limits and it turns out I became stuck on an easy one!

The limit is:

[itex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (1,1)}\frac{xy}{x+y}[/itex]

Obviously, the result is [itex]1/2[/itex], but I'm unable to prove it!

Any hints?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what have you done? I assume you want to prove that

"Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-1)^2}<\delta[/itex] then
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{xy}{x+y}- 1}<\epsilon[/tex]"

Actually I think I might have solved it:

I want to prove that

Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-1)^2}<\delta[/itex] then
[tex]\left|\frac{xy}{x+y}- \frac{1}{2}\right|<\epsilon[/tex]

Now,

[tex]\left|\frac{xy}{x+y}- \frac{1}{2}\right|=\left|\frac{2xy-(x+y)}{2(x+y)}\right|=\left|\frac{xy + xy-x-y)}{2(x+y)}\right|=\left|\frac{x(y-1)+y(x-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|\leq\left|\frac{x(y-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|+\left|\frac{y(x-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|[/tex] by the triangle inequality.

Now, I know that since [itex]{(x,y) \to (1,1)}[/itex] I can make [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] positive so that [itex]\left|\frac{x}{x+y}\right|\leq1[/itex] and [itex]\left|\frac{y}{x+y}\right|\leq1[/itex]. [I'm no sure about this argument]

This way,

[tex]\left|\frac{x(y-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|+\left|\frac{y(x-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|\leq|y-1|+|x-1|[/tex]

But this is just a square with side 2 around the point [itex](x, y)[/itex]. This square is entirely contained by the circle with center [itex](x, y)[/itex] and radius [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

So, when given some [itex]ε>0[/itex] if I set [itex]δ=min(1, ε\sqrt{2})[/itex] and I choose a point [itex](x, y)[/itex] such that [itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-1)^2}<ε\sqrt{2}[/itex], then certainly [itex]|y-1|+|x-1|<ε[/itex] and, by extension,

[tex]\left|\frac{xy}{x+y}- \frac{1}{2}\right|<ε[/tex]

What's wrong with my rationale? :-)

Last edited:
pureza said:
So, when given some [itex]ε>0[/itex] if I set [itex]δ=min(1, ε\sqrt{2})[/itex] and I choose a point [itex](x, y)[/itex] such that [itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-1)^2}<ε\sqrt{2}[/itex], then certainly [itex]|y-1|+|x-1|<ε[/itex] and, by extension,

I did not read anything other than this line so I cannot comment on anything else you wrote, but this is wrong. Take (x,y) such that ε < [(x-1)2+(y-1)2]1/2 ≤ ε21/2. Then notice that [(x-1)2+(y-1)2]1/2 ≤ |x-1|+|y-1| to find (x,y) with [(x-1)2+(y-1)2]1/2 ≤ ε21/2 but ε < |x-1|+|y-1|.

Obviously, you are right (thank you). Take [itex]ε=1[/itex]. I can choose a point in the circle with radius [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] that is not inside the square [itex]|x-1|+|y-1|<1[/itex].

How about this: if I choose a point inside the circle with radius ε, then that point is also inside the square with side 2ε, because the circle is contained within the square.

Therefore, if I set [itex]δ\leq ε[/itex], then I know that any point inside the circle with radius δ verifies [itex]|x-1|+|y-1|<ε[/itex], which, if the first part of my derivation is correct, implies that

Is this correct?

1. What is a delta/epsilon proof?

A delta/epsilon proof is a rigorous mathematical method used to prove the existence of a limit for a given function. It involves showing that for any positive value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding positive value of delta (δ) such that the distance between the input and the limit point is less than epsilon when the distance between the input and the limit point is less than delta.

2. Why is a delta/epsilon proof important in multivariable calculus?

In multivariable calculus, functions have multiple input variables and limits can be more complex. A delta/epsilon proof is important because it provides a way to determine if a limit exists for a multi-variable function and helps to prove the existence of a limit in a rigorous and precise manner.

3. How do you construct a delta/epsilon proof for a multivariable limit?

To construct a delta/epsilon proof for a multivariable limit, you need to start by setting up the limit expression and then choose a value for epsilon. Next, you will need to manipulate the expression to isolate the input variables and determine a corresponding value for delta. Finally, you should verify that for any input values within delta of the limit point, the output values are within epsilon of the limit.

4. What are some common pitfalls to avoid when constructing a delta/epsilon proof?

One common pitfall to avoid when constructing a delta/epsilon proof is assuming that a limit exists without proper justification. It is important to carefully consider the definition of a limit and use it to guide your proof. Another pitfall is using incorrect algebraic manipulations, which can lead to incorrect results. It is also important to clearly communicate your steps and reasoning in the proof to ensure its validity.

5. Are there any alternative methods for proving multivariable limits?

Yes, there are alternative methods for proving multivariable limits, such as using the definition of a limit in terms of sequences or using the Squeeze Theorem. However, the delta/epsilon proof is the most commonly used method and is considered the most rigorous and precise approach.