Crackpot Posts: What is Allowed on the Physics Forums?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
Note: While I am a moderator, I am not a physicist, so I don't think my opinion on this matter counts much.Zz.In summary, the conversation discusses the potential consequences of posting personal theories on the Physics Forums platform. It is noted that personal theories are not automatically considered crackpottery, but they are not generally accepted on the forum as they should be traceable to standard textbooks or peer-reviewed scientific literature. The example of Copernicus and his heliocentric theory is used to illustrate this point. It is also mentioned that top physicists have been known to post on the forum in the past.
member 392791
So I was wondering, at the time Copernicus made his heliocentric theory (personal theory) and it was against mainstream science at the time, does that mean if PF was around at that time and he made a thread about a heliocentric model of the solar system, he would be banned as being a crackpot?

Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
So I was wondering, at the time Copernicus made his heliocentric theory (personal theory) and it was against mainstream science at the time, does that mean if PF was around at that time and he made a thread about a heliocentric model of the solar system, he would be banned as being a crackpot?

Yes. If Einstein posted his theories before they were part of mainstream science, he would be banned too.

Woopydalan said:

He would first be warned to obey the PF Rules (after all, he would know how to read, no?), and if he persists, then yes, he would be banned for violating rules.

But this is more of a speculative guess. If I were Copernicus, I would not go to the public and suddenly advertize my theory. He certainly didn't, did he?

What he did was to do what was the COMMON PRACTICE at that time, he published his findings.

So what is the common practice in OUR time? Do scientists go to open forum such as PF to sell their ideas? Or do they follow the tried-and-tested path that practicing scientists do when they have something new to report?

And BTW, people often bring up these names in physics whenever they are trying to argue for allowing them to post their personal theories. Yet, they forget who these people are and use such comparison under total ignorance.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2979 [Broken]

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a Bayesian sense, the chance of "someone making a theory against mainstream science" being a crackpot is orders of magnitude larger than him turning out to be another Copernicus.

Oh, also note that being banned for violating PF Rules does not automatically imply one is a crackpot, although being a crackpot can automatically incur a ban from PF.

So the topic of this thread "What counts as crackpottery?" doesn't jive with being banned for promoting personal theory. The symptoms of being a crackpot is quite clear:

http://insti.physics.sunysb.edu/~siegel/quack.html

Copernicus does NOT fall under such criteria!

Zz.

Zapper beat me to it with that last post. Personal theories are not synonymous with crackpottery. PF makes no judgement when rejecting personal theories, we don't accept them because this isn't the place for them.

When we say something is crackpot it's usually a combination of personal theory that is not even wrong or thoroughly debunked (homeopathy, over-unity, any general pseudoscience), an ideological bent (conspiracy theory, religious) and a cornucopia of logical fallacies and failures of internal consistency.

Last edited:
Ryan_m_b said:
Zapper beat me to it with that last post. Personal theories are not synonymous with crackpottery. PF makes no judgement when rejecting personal theories, we don't accept them because this isn't the place for them.

Do personal published theories become automatically acceptable (ok, not in some freak journal!)

rollingstein said:
Do personal published theories become automatically acceptable (ok, not in some freak journal!)

If you managed to publish them in a reputable peer-reviewed journal, then you can discuss them here.

Last edited:
rollingstein said:
According to the rules:
Rules said:
Generally, discussion topics should be traceable to standard textbooks or to peer-reviewed scientific literature. Usually, we accept references from journals that are listed here:

http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/
[...]
In recent years, there has been an increasing number of "fringe" and Internet-only journals that appear to have lax reviewing standards. We do not generally accept references from such journals. Note that some of these fringe journals are listed in Thomson Reuters. Just because a journal is listed in Thomson Reuters does not mean it is acceptable.
=> they are not banned by the rules, but you should be extremely careful, in particular if the theory is a serious deviation from existing scientific theories.

Woopydalan said:
If you are one of top physicist(it generally tends to stick out in posts), i am sue you'd be allowed to post much much more than the average user on borderline not-yet accepted physics. Again, he/she would be taking a small risk but the quality of posts is what seems to come on top and the fact that the whole of theory/modification is probably not 100% right seems less important. No theory is 100% right or complete, so the rank and quality of posts is what determines the fate of the user. Or at least that's my impression.

PP> If it's a completely new and radical theory that very few people can or have the time to understand, the respective user would be banned outright.

Maui said:
If you are one of top physicist(it generally tends to stick out in posts), i am sue you'd be allowed to post much much more than the average user on borderline not-yet accepted physics.

As an aside, have top physicists posted on PF in the past?

rollingstein said:
As an aside, have top physicists posted on PF in the past?

Sure. Among others, for a while, we had Brian Josephson. Unfortunately, the discussion he was involved in was on a form of "cold fusion".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Sure. Among others, for a while, we had Brian Josephson. Unfortunately, the discussion he was involved in was on a form of "cold fusion".

Zz.

Can you provide a link?

PF would not have been possible in Copernicus's time because as one of the first scientists, pretty much everyone else was a crackpot and there was virtually no science to discuss!

Don't make the mistake of defining crackpot as "non-mainstream".

At first I would like to say thanks to admins for keeping forum clean of real crackpots. It's very detractive when one come to a "physics forum" and should search for some rational among perpetual mobile designs.

Crackpottery is not about conformist/nonconformist thinking.
It is about respect to people, who one speaks to.

When crackpot posts a brand new theory without any proves, did he expect others should just believe him and join his sekt? If a salesman come to your house, and says: "I offer you a brand new pill, nobody sells before. It will make you fly" Would you buy it?

When advanced crackpot posts same theory with the megabyte-sized proves, did he expect others will spend their time in hope to find true genius among thousands of crackpots? That pill salesman also may give you a huge book describing details of how his pill make you fly. Will you seriously review it?

Would be, IE Plank perceived as a crackpot? This would depend of his behavior.
If he would yelling: "There is nothing determinable, wave is the particle! I, and only I know the truth!" - definetly.
More likely he would post: "There is an inconsistency in Bohr atom model, I can't understand"

But, one should carefully distinguish real, obsessed crackpots, from the young persons, generating a lot of ungrounded ideas, due to a lack of knowledge and experience. They may evolve whether to the real scientists, whether to obsessed crackpots. That's a lot of responsibility.

Graniar said:
If a salesman come to your house, and says: "I offer you a brand new pill, nobody sells before. It will make you fly" Would you buy it?
Some would, otherwise I cannot see how some ideas get followers.
This is not just the typical "Einstein was wrong, all scientists are too stupid to see it"-crackpot idea, it also applies to most conspiracy theories and religious groups.

Graniar said:
Would be, IE Plank perceived as a crackpot? This would depend of his behavior.
If he would yelling: "There is nothing determinable, wave is the particle! I, and only I know the truth!" - definetly.
More likely he would post: "There is an inconsistency in Bohr atom model, I can't understand"

Please not that neither post would be allowed on this forum. Even if it turned out to be correct.

How does one differentiate crackpottery, obvious crackpottery, and facetious crackpottery? There's a great deal of the latter, even among senior posters.

Since obvious crackpottery can receive an infraction, it might be well to understand the subtext of the rules.

Facetious crackpottery would not be allowed either and I don't know what you mean when you say there is a lot of it here.

russ_watters said:
Facetious crackpottery would not be allowed either and I don't know what you mean when you say there is a lot of it here.

Let's say since 'facetious' crackpottery is not allowed, there is not only not a lot of it, there is virtually none whatsoever. It would be quickly deleted on sight or report.

danR said:
Let's say since 'facetious' crackpottery is not allowed, there is not only not a lot of it, there is virtually none whatsoever. It would be quickly deleted on sight or report.

Correct. Crackpot posts of any kind are not allowed here. Are you requesting a 10-day vacation from the PF for some reason?

What counts as crackpottery?

Crackpottery refers to ideas or theories that are not supported by evidence or widely accepted by the scientific community. These ideas are often considered to be unconventional or fringe and are not considered to be valid or credible by most scientists.

How do scientists determine if something is crackpottery?

Scientists use the scientific method, which involves making observations, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to test and validate ideas and theories. If an idea or theory cannot be supported by evidence or is not logically consistent with existing knowledge, it is likely to be considered crackpottery.

Can scientific theories be considered crackpottery?

Yes, if a scientific theory cannot be supported by evidence or is not widely accepted by the scientific community, it can be considered crackpottery. However, scientific theories are subject to rigorous testing and scrutiny, so it is unlikely that a widely accepted theory would be considered crackpottery.

Are all unconventional ideas considered crackpottery?

Not necessarily. While unconventional ideas may initially be met with skepticism, they can still be considered valid if they are supported by evidence and can be replicated by other scientists. It is important to differentiate between unconventional ideas that are based on evidence and those that are not.

How can someone tell if an idea is crackpottery or legitimate science?

It is important to critically evaluate the evidence and logic behind an idea or theory. Look for supporting evidence from reputable sources, and consider if the idea is consistent with existing knowledge. It is also helpful to consult with experts in the field to get their perspective. Ultimately, scientific ideas that can be supported by evidence and are consistent with existing knowledge are more likely to be considered legitimate science rather than crackpottery.