Calculating Mass Lost of Iron Asteroid Hitting Earth

In summary, the asteroid will lose a mass proportionate to the KE and GP of the object. The energy to do this comes from the initial kinetic energy and the gravitational PE lost in the fall.
dannyod6504
I am trying to figure out an equation that will allow me to calculate the mass lost of an asteroid that is coming towards earth. I know what I need to know the melting point of the asteroid, in this case we are using a completely spherical iron asteroid. Also kinetic energy would most likely be a factor along with drag force. I just need to know how much mass is going to be lost after the asteroid enters the atmosphere.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Possibly even a more a simple question that I would appreciate is if anyone knows how to convert joules to Celsius

1 degree Celsius equals about 1899 Joules. I'm unsure that will be much help in answering your original question. A body passing through the atmosphere 'loses' mass in two basic ways - ablation and fragmentation. You may find this article of interest http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/JA076i019p04653/abstract

Chronos said:
1 degree Celsius equals about 1899 Joules.

One Celsius heat unit is the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Celsius. This is approximately equal to 1899 Joules.

It is not possible to convert degrees Celsius to Joules.

jbriggs444 said:
One Celsius heat unit is the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Celsius. This is approximately equal to 1899 Joules.[\quote]
Given specific heat in the right units.
Strictly, 1C is the temperature change of 1lb of water whet it receives 1899J of heat.
Which seems an odd number until you realize that the pound is not a metric system unit.

It is not possible to convert degrees Celsius to Joules.
That would be correct - not directly - temperature and heat are different things.

That's what doesn't help OP... so what would? ;)

dannyod6504 said:
I am trying to figure out an equation that will allow me to calculate the mass lost of an asteroid that is coming towards earth. I know what I need to know the melting point of the asteroid, in this case we are using a completely spherical iron asteroid. Also kinetic energy would most likely be a factor along with drag force. I just need to know how much mass is going to be lost after the asteroid enters the atmosphere.

the usual model for this sort of thing assumes that all the mass lost is vaporized.
so you need the melting and vapor points as well as the specific heats and latent heats.

The energy to do this comes from the initial kinetic energy and the gravitational PE lost in the fall.
Only a proportion of this energy will go to ablating the asteroid - so you need a model for that.
The mechanism for the heating will be atmospheric friction.

That should give you enough to get started.

1. How is the mass lost of an iron asteroid calculated?

The mass lost of an iron asteroid is calculated by using the formula M = ρV, where M is the mass, ρ is the density of the asteroid, and V is the volume of the asteroid. This formula takes into account the density of the asteroid, as well as the amount of material that is lost upon impact.

2. What factors affect the calculation of mass lost?

The factors that affect the calculation of mass lost include the density and size of the asteroid, as well as the velocity at which it impacts the Earth. These factors can greatly impact the amount of material that is lost upon impact.

3. How accurate are the calculations of mass lost?

The calculations of mass lost are fairly accurate, but they can vary depending on the assumptions made about the asteroid's density and composition. Additionally, factors such as the angle of impact and the composition of the Earth's surface can also affect the accuracy of the calculations.

4. Can the mass lost of an iron asteroid be determined before impact?

Yes, the mass lost of an iron asteroid can be estimated before impact by using telescopes and other instruments to gather data about the asteroid's size, composition, and trajectory. This information can then be used to make predictions about the amount of material that will be lost upon impact.

5. How does the mass lost of an iron asteroid affect its impact on Earth?

The mass lost of an iron asteroid can greatly affect its impact on Earth. A larger mass lost means that more material from the asteroid will be vaporized upon impact, creating a larger explosion and potentially causing more damage. However, a smaller mass lost may mean that the asteroid will not have as much of an impact on the Earth's surface.