Turning a model car with no steering.

In summary, the conversation discusses building a model car with four servo wheels and how to make it turn in one direction. It is suggested that cutting power to different wheels or using omni wheels can achieve this without causing tire wear.
kpket
Hi Guys,
If I were to build a model car, with each wheel having it's own servo, then how can I make it turn in one direction.
Say if I want to turn left, if I cut power to the front left and reduce the speed of the rare wheels will the front left wheel act as a pivot? Or should I cut power of the whole left side?
Is there anyway I can simulate this?
Cheers
Kris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
The skid steer loader has 4WD without directional wheel steering. The best geometry to use is a wide vehicle with a short wheelbase as that reduces tyre wear while turning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skid-steer_loader

Different speeds for each wheel will steer the car.
Omni wheels will completely eliminate wear from lateral motion without the need for a conventional differential or accommodations for Ackerman steering geometry.

1. How does a model car with no steering turn?

The model car turns using the principle of differential steering, where the wheels on one side move faster than the wheels on the other side. This causes the car to turn in the direction of the slower-moving wheels.

2. Why would a model car not have steering?

Model cars may not have steering as a design choice, for simplicity or cost-saving purposes. They may also be used for specific purposes, such as drag racing or drifting, where steering is not necessary.

3. Can a model car with no steering be modified to have steering?

Yes, a model car can be modified to have steering by adding a servo motor or rack and pinion mechanism to control the direction of the wheels. However, this may require significant modifications to the existing design of the car.

4. Are there any advantages to having a model car with no steering?

Some advantages of a model car with no steering include simpler design, lower cost, and better stability when driving in a straight line. It may also be more suitable for certain types of racing or driving styles.

5. How is steering controlled in a model car with no steering?

In a model car with no steering, the direction of the car is controlled by adjusting the speed of the wheels on each side. This can be done manually by the user or through a remote control device.