Steel Soap bars: magnetic core, solid?

In summary, the soap bar uses magnets to create a force that lifts it off the ground. It is unstable and requires electromagnets to work properly.
rovot
I bought a Stainless Steel soap bar and it works, it just does. It was from China and hollow inside and I would like to know if that's either a cost cutting measure or how the bar works? What would happen if it were solid?

Another thing would be if it had a magnetic core, or made from a metal that reacted to magnets a lot more so than Stainless Steel already is. How would this affect the perceived working of the device please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I bet on cheapo cost cutting

Well it all works on positive and negative charged ions and I was wondering if a hollow/solid core would change that, even more so if it were a different metal in the core i.e. magnetic friendly or how the ions might change if coming into contact with a magnetic field?

Actually, I have seen some of the bars that are not hollow. But they cost more.

Basically, I would like to create a version of bar myself in which it has a core that can react to a magnetic field in order to levitate it above a surface, that way it should remain cleaner as it will not come into contact with the germs.

So I wanted to know if the magnetic field, a different metal and a solid core would have an affect on the working of the bar itself?

What's a soap bar in this context? Especially stainless steel ones.

rovot said:
Well it all works on positive and negative charged ions and I was wondering if a hollow/solid core would change that, even more so if it were a different metal in the core i.e. magnetic friendly or how the ions might change if coming into contact with a magnetic field?

The magnetic field wouldn't make a bit of difference.

rovot said:
Basically, I would like to create a version of bar myself in which it has a core that can react to a magnetic field in order to levitate it above a surface, that way it should remain cleaner as it will not come into contact with the germs.

Levitating and object using solely magnetic fields is inherently unstable and requires electromagnets to work properly if my memory is correct.

It can be done with pens:

Last edited by a moderator:
rovot said:
It can be done with pens:

Read the description:

The pen is actually being pushed to the right, but the motion to the right is being prevented by the plastic barrier.

That's what I mean when I say that magnetic levitation is unstable. You either need a physical barrier to prevent the object from moving, or you need to constantly change the magnetic field using electromagnets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could handle a little terminator, if tastefully done, but to get it off the ground is my main aim.

1. What is a steel soap bar with a magnetic core?

A steel soap bar with a magnetic core is a type of soap that has a solid steel core inside it. This core is made of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron or steel, and is used to attract and remove impurities from the skin.

2. How does a steel soap bar with a magnetic core work?

The steel core in the soap creates a magnetic field that interacts with the impurities on the skin. When the soap is rubbed on the skin, the magnetic field attracts and lifts the impurities, allowing them to be easily rinsed away with water.

3. What are the benefits of using a steel soap bar with a magnetic core?

Using a steel soap bar with a magnetic core can help to effectively remove dirt, oil, and dead skin cells from the skin. It can also improve circulation and promote healthier, smoother skin.

4. Is a steel soap bar with a magnetic core safe for all skin types?

Yes, a steel soap bar with a magnetic core is generally safe for all skin types. However, if you have sensitive or irritated skin, it is always best to consult with a dermatologist before trying a new skincare product.

5. How long does a steel soap bar with a magnetic core last?

The lifespan of a steel soap bar with a magnetic core will vary depending on how often it is used and how well it is cared for. With proper use and storage, it can last for several months before needing to be replaced.