DC machine speed/torque characteristic

In summary: DC shunt motor, we see that if the speed exceeds a certain value, then the machine becomes a generator.This law is important in understanding how motors work. When you apply a torque to a motor, the motor will try to rotate in the opposite direction. If the speed of the motor is greater than the torque that you are applying, the motor will start to generate power.
ilconformista
Hello everyone!

In the following speed-torque characteristic of a DC shunt motor, we see that if the speed exceeds a certain value, then the machine becomes a generator.

I don't understand something. How is it possible for the machine to have a negative torque and a positive speed? Shouldn't they always be of the same sign? For example if the machine (motor or generator) rotates clockwise, then speed and torque should be positive.

So what does torque and speed of different sign mean?

Attachments

• DC machine.png
    DC machine.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 695
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the speed is positive but the torque is negative then the acceleration is in the opposite direction to the velocity.
Remember - torque causes acceleration, not speed.

Thanks a lot! So the kind of rotation (clockwise or not) is defined by the sign of speed and not by the sign of toque. Is that right?

That is correct - just like the direction of linear motion is not determined by the sign of the force.

A clockwise applied torque produces a clockwise acceleration.
If the initial velocity was anti-clockwise, it will take the rotation a while to change direction.

Usually an applied torque will be opposed by something - a load say and always friction.
The friction (or other losses) is often speed dependent, so here will be some speed where the friction+load is the same as the applied torque and the acceleration will be zero.
This is the concept behind torque-speed relations.

You have to look carefully at the description to see where the "torque" mentioned comes from.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot again. However it still bugs me: If speed is positive, that means that the rotation is clockwise and so the Laplace force is positive and the torque is positive. Similarly if speed is negative then the torque is negative. So I come again to my first question.

So I come again to my first question. ...

So what does torque and speed of different sign mean?

Intuitively one gets a feel for this running up and down steep hills in an electric golf cart.

Arithmetically maybe this'll help ?

Positive torque X Positive speed = positive power , a motor
Negative torque X Negative speed = positive power , a motor wired to run the other way

Negative torque X Positive speed = negative power , a generator

sorry to butt in - just i sensed a need for some abject simplicity, and I'm as simple as they come..

jim hardy thanks. I get that about power, but the exact thing I don't get is this: How is it possible to have negative torque and positive speed? Because it seems to me that both speed and torque must have the same sign as the "sign" the rotation.

Last edited:
they are different things. Torque is a force, speed is a change in position. There is nothing that stops them from having different signs.

When a car is braking, its applied torque to the wheels is negative but it is still moving forward.

Likes 1 person
ilconformista said:
jim hardy thanks. I get that about power, but the exact thing I don't get is this: How is it possible to have negative torque and positive speed? Because it seems to me that both speed and torque must have the same sign as the "sign" the rotation.
As SimonB said,
You have to look carefully at the description to see where the "torque" mentioned comes from.

What is providing the "twist"(torque) ?

Have you ever started a lawnmower or outboard motor?
You must supply significant torque to spin it,
but once the engine is started it produces plenty of torque.

Viewed from the top my lawnmower rotates clockwise
and i must supply clockwise torque to get it started.

Once it has started i could apply counterclockwise torque to stop it, or to extract power from its shaft.
Note reversal of torque.. Perhaps confusion stems from this fine point about action-reaction pairs. They act on different objects.
So when you swap from motor to generator keep in mind who's doing the twisting and who's feeling that twist.
To start the mower i apply clockwise torque from the top, and the motor's inertia produces equal counterclockwise torque.
When mowing with it the motor produces clockwise torque and grass applies equal counterclockwise torque from the bottom.
Observe torque felt by mower engine - clockwise to put power in, counterclockwise to take power out.These guys express it more succinctly :
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/newt.html
Newton's third law: All forces in the universe occur in equal but oppositely directed pairs. There are no isolated forces; for every external force that acts on an object there is a force of equal magnitude but opposite direction which acts back on the object which exerted that external force. In the case of internal forces, a force on one part of a system will be countered by a reaction force on another part of the system so that an isolated system cannot by any means exert a net force on the system as a whole. A system cannot "bootstrap" itself into motion with purely internal forces - to achieve a net force and an acceleration, it must interact with an object external to itself.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot!

1. What is a DC machine speed/torque characteristic?

A DC machine speed/torque characteristic is a graph that illustrates the relationship between the speed and torque of a DC machine. It shows how the speed of the machine changes as the torque applied to it varies.

2. How is the speed/torque characteristic of a DC machine determined?

The speed/torque characteristic of a DC machine is determined by conducting a series of experiments where different loads are applied to the machine while measuring the corresponding speed. These measurements are then plotted on a graph to create the characteristic curve.

3. What factors affect the speed/torque characteristic of a DC machine?

The speed/torque characteristic of a DC machine is affected by several factors, including the type of DC motor, the number of coils, the strength of the magnetic field, and the amount of current flowing through the motor.

4. How does the speed/torque characteristic of a DC machine differ from other types of motors?

The speed/torque characteristic of a DC machine differs from other types of motors in that it can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and current supplied to the motor. This allows for a wide range of speed and torque settings.

5. What is the significance of the speed/torque characteristic in DC machine design?

The speed/torque characteristic is an important factor in DC machine design as it helps engineers to determine the optimal operating conditions for the motor. It also allows for the selection of the appropriate motor for a specific application based on the required speed and torque requirements.