Tags: capacitor, charge, time
Share this thread:
OZwurld
Jun22-14, 03:05 AM
P: 7
Hello all,

I was reading this post on calculating the capacitor charge time:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=145203

My problem is i have a capacitor (1000uF) and i want to determine its charge time but dont know the R value, is it something i chose arbitrarily or should it be in a datasheet.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
Researchers develop tool to predict the level of driver discomfort caused by LED lighting
New inexpensive and easy to implement computer software provides real-time and highly accurate data on traffic
MrSparkle
Jun22-14, 03:27 AM
P: 103
It should come from the circuit. If your resistance is at or near 0, then your current is very large and your capacitor would fill up instantaneously.
OZwurld
Jun22-14, 03:51 AM
P: 7
is there a typical value that i should use, or does that all depend on how much current i want?

sophiecentaur
Jun22-14, 06:03 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,873
Capacitor Charge Time

Quote Quote by OZwurld View Post
is there a typical value that i should use, or does that all depend on how much current i want?
In the limit, it absolutely depends upon the resistance (and the Inductance) of the rest of the circuit. In real life, a Capacitor is never charged "instantaneously". The leads and internal structure of the C will also have resistive and inductive components; when using Capacitors at RF, the self Inductance can be very relevant; any Capacitor can resonate and behave as a short circuit, open circuit or even an Inductor, above self-resonance.
Baluncore
Jun22-14, 07:14 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,707
The critical parameters relating to minimum charge time will be specified in the manufacturers data sheet.
1000uF will almost certainly be electrolytic, so the parameters will be;
1. ESR, the effective series resistance. 2. Ripple current, I_ripple. 3. Temperature rating.

If you try to charge an electrolytic capacitor too quickly, the high current flow may fuse the internal foil. That can also happen if you short circuit a capacitor. If you repeat the charge-discharge cycle often, the I2R power dissipated in the capacitor ESR may overheat the electrolyte. Keep the current below the ripple current specified.

To charge a capacitor, C, from a fixed DC voltage, V, through a resistor, R, will require the minimum resistor value to be R = V / I_ripple.
jim hardy
Jun22-14, 08:43 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,496
here's a pretty good overview of large capacitors

http://www.vishay.com/docs/28356/alu...troduction.pdf

Register to reply