What Is Magnetic Wire and How Is It Used in Building an Electromagnetic Motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's need to make an electromagnetic motor for their grade 11 physics class. They have found potential designs online and are unsure about the type of wire needed for the project. They are seeking advice and suggestions for their motor.
MiWiGi
Hello, this is my first post.
Anywho, my problem is is that I have to make a simple electromagnetic motor for my grade 11 physics class. My teacher didnt tell us what to do per-say, but we learned about it, and are on our own to put all of our information together, and build it. So, I found the general idea of what I want to do.

http://www.bizarrelabs.com/motor2.htm"

or

http://www.e-scoot.com/2000/kat/motor3.html"

(I am allowed to search the internet for basic designs)

My concern right now is what exactly is magnetic wire? I don't understand what "No. 20 to No. 24 magnet wire" means. Is that like, the numbers in between them are usuable? Or is that a specific wire? Are they accessable at the local hardware store? If you guys have any better suggestions for my motor, please post. Thanks.

-Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please move this, I realize i posted it in the wrong spot. Sorry! My first post!

Hello Mitch,

First of all, congratulations on taking on this project and seeking out more information to build your electromagnetic motor. It's great to see students taking initiative and applying what they've learned in class.

To answer your question, magnetic wire is a type of wire that is specifically designed for use in electromagnetic applications. It is typically made of copper and has a coating of insulation, usually enamel, to prevent short circuits. The numbers (No. 20 to No. 24) refer to the wire gauge, which is the diameter of the wire. The lower the number, the thicker the wire. So in this case, No. 20 wire is thicker than No. 24 wire.

As for accessibility, you may be able to find magnetic wire at your local hardware store, but it may be easier to find at an electronics store or online. It's important to use the right type of wire for your motor to ensure it works properly.

In terms of suggestions for your motor, it really depends on what materials and tools you have access to. The links you provided seem like good starting points, but you may also want to consider experimenting with different coil designs or using stronger magnets to increase the motor's power.

I would also recommend doing some further research on the principles of electromagnetism and how they apply to motors. This will give you a better understanding of how your motor works and how you can improve it.

Best of luck with your project! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. What is an electromagnetic motor?

An electromagnetic motor is a type of electric motor that uses the principles of electromagnetism to create motion. It consists of a stationary part, called the stator, and a rotating part, called the rotor. The stator contains permanent magnets or electromagnets, while the rotor contains conductive wire coils.

2. How does an electromagnetic motor work?

When an electric current is passed through the wire coils in the rotor, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the stator. This interaction causes the rotor to rotate, creating motion. The direction of the rotation can be changed by reversing the direction of the current in the wire coils.

3. What are the advantages of using an electromagnetic motor?

Electromagnetic motors have several advantages, including high efficiency, low maintenance, and variable speed control. They also have a high power-to-weight ratio, making them useful for various applications, such as in electric vehicles and industrial machinery.

4. Are there any limitations to using an electromagnetic motor?

One limitation of electromagnetic motors is that they require a power source to generate the electric current needed for operation. This can make them less suitable for certain applications where a continuous power supply may not be available. Additionally, they can be more expensive to manufacture compared to other types of motors.

5. How are electromagnetic motors used in real-world applications?

Electromagnetic motors have a wide range of applications in various industries, including transportation, manufacturing, and household appliances. They are commonly used in electric cars, trains, elevators, fans, and washing machines. They are also used in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.