Understanding Lenz's Law: Motors and Generators Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses Lenz's Law and the direction of induced current in a flexible metal loop and a wire with current. Lenz's Law states that the induced current will generate a magnetic field opposing the change in flux through the loop. In the first question, the current flows clockwise to make the flux bigger. In the second question, the wire with current creates a magnetic field into the page, causing the loop to generate its own field directed out of the page, resulting in an anticlockwise current around the loop.
Solidmozza
Hi everyone.
At the moment I am doing motors and generators in physics, in particular Lenz's Law.
I understand most of the stuff, but I am really just stuck on 2 questions. If you could help me, I would really be appreciative (explanations, not just answers preferable).
Q1) A flexible metal loop is perpendicular to a magnetic field as shown. It is distorted to the shape shown in the other diagram. Is the direction of the induced current in the loop clockwise or anticlockwise?
X X X X X X <---circle inside there... then turns into an ellipse.
X X X X X X
X X X X X X
X X X X X X
X X X X X X
Q2) In what direction, clockwise or anticlockwise, is the induced current in the loop of wire?
(circle) |
----------| current heading south, and increasing.
----------|
----------|
----------|
*note, the --- are space fillers*
Help MUCH appreciated!
Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned Flemming's left hand rule?

Yep, I sure have.
I must be missing something big here, and I know it.
Still puzzled :(

In these kinds of problems you can use Lenz's Law by first checking if the magnetic flux gets bigger or smaller, the inducted current will generate a magnetic field opposing the change. For example, in the first problem the area gets smaller so the flux does to. Now the current in the loop will generate a field in the direction of the current field in order to make the flux bigger. So what cirection is the current in the loop if it generates a field pointing inwards?

Daniel - I initially thought that the magnetic flux was decreasing in Q1 because the area was reducing, but I wasnt quite sure! Thus, the answer would be it flows clockwise for that one.

But the 2nd one I am still a little stumped. How can you make it so that the current flows in the circle to oppose the increasing current? I, again, may be staring at the answer but not realising it!
Thanks for your efforts so far, much appreciated!

You're right about (1).

For the second one, what kind of field does the wire with the current produce inside the circular loop? Over time, does that field increase or decrease? What about the flux through the circular loop? Then, what does Lenz's law say about it?

:( I'm not sure what type of current the wire with the current produces in the circular loop... I need this explained, please =D. Once I understand this sort of thing I think I will be ok..
Here is my thinking - The wire with the current creates a magnetic field according to the right hand grip rule - then I am lost as to which direction it creates in the loop, and why it creates in the loop.. ugh :(

Just bunting this up, because I really need help with this - just the answer and an explanation and I will be happily on my way...

Really appreciate it!

Sorry for the delay.

You have a current heading down the page in a wire, and a circular loop to the left of the wire. The current is increasing with time.

The current in the wire produces a magnetic field directed into the page on the left of the wire and out of the page on the right. So, the circular loop has magnetic field from the wire going through it, directed into the page. This field is increasing with time, because the current generating it is increasing.

Lenz's law says the loop wants to generate its own field which opposes the change in flux through the loop. Since the flux is increasing, producing more field into the page, the loop wants to generate its own field directed out of the page. An anticlockwise current is therefore induced around the loop to generate that field.

Does that help?

1. What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

2. How does Lenz's Law apply to motors and generators?

In motors, Lenz's Law is responsible for creating the torque that allows the motor to rotate. In generators, Lenz's Law is responsible for producing the current that is generated by the rotating magnetic field.

3. Why is Lenz's Law important in the design of motors and generators?

Lenz's Law is important because it ensures that the generated current is in the same direction as the desired output, making the device more efficient. It also helps prevent damage to the device by opposing any sudden changes in the magnetic field.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect Lenz's Law?

The stronger the magnetic field, the stronger the opposing current generated by Lenz's Law. This means that a stronger magnetic field will require more energy to overcome and maintain the desired output, which can affect the efficiency of the device.

5. Can Lenz's Law be violated?

No, Lenz's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and cannot be violated. It has been proven to hold true in all known cases and is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of motors and generators.