Understanding the Chemical Reaction of CuSO4 + Fe and Its Effects on Iron Plate

In summary, the reaction between CuSO4 and Fe causes the iron plate to turn brown due to the loss of electrons, with the formation of FeSO4 and Cu. The brown color is a result of the iron going into solution and the copper coming out of solution. This is confirmed by the conversation between the speakers.
PPonte
CuSO4(aq) + Fe(s) --> FeSO4(aq) + Cu(s)
FeSO4(aq) + Cu(s) --> CuSO4(aq) + Fe(s)

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6140/chem3fp.png

Why does the iron plate becomes brown?
I have no precise idea, but I think it might be related to the loss of electrons of the iron plate. Could someone help, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My idea was so stupid. I am almost sure that it is because the iron is going into solution and the copper is coming out of solution forming the brown thing in the iron plate. Am i right now?

My idea was so stupid. I am almost sure that it is because the iron is going into solution and the copper is coming out of solution forming the brown thing in the iron plate. Am i right now?
yep

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What is the chemical reaction between CuSO4 and Fe?

The chemical reaction between CuSO4 (copper sulfate) and Fe (iron) is a redox reaction, also known as an oxidation-reduction reaction. The reaction can be represented by the following equation: CuSO4 + Fe → FeSO4 + Cu. This means that copper sulfate and iron react to form iron sulfate and copper.

2. What are the products of the CuSO4 + Fe reaction?

The products of the reaction between CuSO4 and Fe are FeSO4 (iron sulfate) and Cu (copper). These products can be seen as a result of the transfer of electrons between the two reactants.

3. How does the CuSO4 + Fe reaction affect the iron plate?

The reaction between CuSO4 and Fe can have different effects on the iron plate, depending on the conditions of the reaction. If the iron plate is exposed to the solution of CuSO4 and Fe, it can become coated with a layer of copper due to the displacement reaction. This can protect the iron from further corrosion. However, if the iron plate is immersed in the solution, it can undergo galvanic corrosion, where the iron acts as the anode and corrodes faster in the presence of copper ions.

4. What factors can affect the rate of the CuSO4 + Fe reaction?

The rate of the CuSO4 + Fe reaction can be affected by various factors such as temperature, concentration of the reactants, surface area of the iron plate, and presence of a catalyst. Higher temperatures and higher concentrations of the reactants can increase the rate of the reaction, while a larger surface area of the iron plate can provide more sites for the reaction to occur. A catalyst can also speed up the reaction by lowering the activation energy.

5. Can the CuSO4 + Fe reaction be reversed?

The CuSO4 + Fe reaction can be reversed by a process called electrolysis. This involves passing an electric current through the solution of FeSO4 and Cu to separate the two elements. This process can be used to recover the original iron plate or to obtain pure copper from the solution. However, the reverse reaction is not spontaneous and requires an external source of energy to occur.