Chemistry Mixture: Identifying the Incorrect Statement

In summary, the incorrect statement about a mixture is that it has properties that are entirely different from those of its individual components.
topsyturvy
Regarding about the Mixture.
Question goes:

Statement concerning a mixture is INCORRECT. only one statement is incorrect. which one?
A.) It has a variable composition by mass.
B.)It boils over a range of temperatures.
C.)It has properties that are entirely different from those of its individual components
D.) Little or no energy is invovled in its formation.
E.)It can be separated into its individual components by physical means.

i picked out C for the incorrect statement.
so anyone disagree?

Physics news on Phys.org
topsyturvy said:
Regarding about the Mixture.
Question goes:

Statement concerning a mixture is INCORRECT. only one statement is incorrect. which one?
A.) It has a variable composition by mass.
B.)It boils over a range of temperatures.
C.)It has properties that are entirely different from those of its individual components
D.) Little or no energy is invovled in its formation.
E.)It can be separated into its individual components by physical means.

i picked out C for the incorrect statement.
so anyone disagree?
I would agree with you their.

I cannot determine which statement is incorrect without further context or information. All of the statements could be correct depending on the specific mixture being discussed. In general, mixtures can have a variable composition by mass, can boil over a range of temperatures, can have properties that are different from their individual components, can involve varying levels of energy in their formation, and can be separated by physical means. Without more information, I cannot say which statement is incorrect.

1. What is a mixture in chemistry?

A mixture in chemistry is a combination of two or more substances that are physically combined, but not chemically bonded. This means that each substance retains its own individual properties and can be separated from the mixture.

2. How are mixtures classified in chemistry?

Mixtures in chemistry are classified as either homogeneous or heterogeneous. Homogeneous mixtures have a uniform composition throughout, while heterogeneous mixtures have visibly different parts and can be separated by physical means.

3. What are some examples of mixtures in everyday life?

Some examples of mixtures in everyday life include saltwater, air, milk, and trail mix. These are all combinations of different substances that can be separated by physical means.

4. How can the components of a mixture be separated?

The components of a mixture can be separated through various physical methods, depending on the type of mixture. For example, filtration can be used to separate solid particles from a liquid mixture, while distillation can be used to separate two liquids with different boiling points.

5. What is the difference between a mixture and a compound in chemistry?

A mixture is a combination of substances that are physically combined, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more elements that are chemically bonded. Mixtures can be separated by physical means, while compounds can only be separated through chemical reactions.