Group velocity of relativistic wave packet

In summary, the conversation discusses the group and phase velocities of a wave packet describing a particle in the relativistic case. The relationship between energy and impulse is used, and the Planck-Einstein relationships are input. By dividing each side by h bar squared and taking the square root, the phase velocity and group velocity are obtained. The result is that the phase velocity is always greater than c, while the group velocity is always less than c. This is equivalent to other results found in introductory modern physics textbooks. The conversation also mentions a thread that provides tips for writing equations in a more readable way.
L-adara7
Hi, I'm trying to figure out what the group and phase velocities of a wave packet describing a particle are in the relativistic case.

I started with the relationship between energy and impulse : E squared = p squared X c squared + rest mass squared X c to the fourth. In this, I input the Planck-Einstein relationships : E = h bar X omega and p = h bar X k.

I divide each side by h bar squared, take the square root to get omega, then divide by k to get the phase velocity or take the derivative relative to k to get the group velocity.

Here is what I get : phase velocity = c X square root of (one + (rest mass X c/p)squared)

group velocity = c / square root of (one + (rest mass X c/p)squared)

So that v phase X v group = c squared

I could not find this result anywhere so I have a doubt : can anyone tell me if I'm doing this correctly?

If it's correct, it's pretty interesting : we have a group velocity that is always less than c (as it should) and a phase velocity that is always greater than c, as if the particle was governed by waves that can't travel at less than the speed of light, just like tachyons...

Anyway, I'd be happy just knowing if I have the correct result for this, thanks for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that result is correct. Many introductory modern physics textbooks derive

[tex]v_{phase} = \frac {c^2} {v_{particle}}[/tex]

[tex]v_{group} = v_{particle}[/tex]

which are equivalent to your result.

By the way, you can make it easier for others to read your equations by studying this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

L-adara7 said:
If it's correct, it's pretty interesting : we have a group velocity that is always less than c (as it should) and a phase velocity that is always greater than c, as if the particle was governed by waves that can't travel at less than the speed of light, just like tachyons...
QUOTE]

The phase velocity>c has nothing to do with the velocity of the particle, which is given by the group velocity<c, unlike tachyons.

1. What is the group velocity of a relativistic wave packet?

The group velocity of a relativistic wave packet refers to the velocity at which the overall envelope or shape of the wave packet moves. It is different from the phase velocity, which refers to the velocity at which the individual waves within the packet propagate.

2. How is the group velocity of a relativistic wave packet calculated?

The group velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of the wave packet's dispersion relation with respect to its wave number. In the case of a relativistic wave packet, this would involve using the relativistic dispersion relation, which takes into account the effects of special relativity.

3. What is the significance of the group velocity in relativity?

The concept of group velocity is important in relativity because it allows us to understand how the overall shape of a wave packet changes as it moves through space. This is particularly relevant in the context of special relativity, where the speed of light is constant and has a significant impact on the behavior of waves.

4. How does the group velocity of a relativistic wave packet compare to the speed of light?

In special relativity, the group velocity of a relativistic wave packet can never exceed the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any information or energy can be transmitted in the universe.

5. Can the group velocity of a relativistic wave packet be negative?

Yes, in certain cases the group velocity of a relativistic wave packet can be negative. This occurs when the dispersion relation has a downward slope, causing the group velocity to point in the opposite direction of the wave's propagation. This is known as negative group velocity and has been observed in various experiments, such as with certain types of electromagnetic waves.