Why Gases are Not Commercially Sold by Volume

• Thread starter KingTutATL
  • Start date
In summary, the reason why gases are not commercially sold by volume is because the volume of a gas can change due to fluctuations in pressure and temperature, making it difficult to accurately measure and sell by volume. This is why gases are typically sold by mass or weight instead.
KingTutATL
Which one of the following statements best explains why gases are not comercially sold by volume?

a)Gas volume is neligible
b)Gas volume is difficult to measure
c)Gas volume depends on the type of gas
d)Gases have comparitviely low densities
e)Gas volume depends on temperature and pressure

The question is asking why aren't they sold by volume. Because the volume of a gas could change due to pressure and temperature changes would be my answer. e). I may have just answered my own question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you have.

KingTutATL said:
Which one of the following statements best explains why gases are not comercially sold by volume?

The question is asking why aren't they sold by volume. Because the volume of a gas could change due to pressure and temperature changes would be my answer. e). I may have just answered my own question.

For the public knowledge I must say that in compressed air installations engineers usually refer to the air flow in m^3/s. Even though it is a volumetric measure of gas, it is understood by all of us that the volume is referred to Normal conditions (sometimes called Normal-cubic meters per second).

KingTutATL said:

Gas is sold to consumers by volume. That is how the gas meters work. I think they regulate the pressure and adjust for temperature.

AM

It's a poor question, but the answer they are looking for is clearly "e". (Another "textbook" problem created by a well-meaning instructor who just doesn't have the practical knowledge.)

1. Why are gases not sold by volume?

Gases are not sold by volume because their volume can vary greatly depending on factors such as temperature and pressure. This makes it difficult to accurately measure and sell gases by volume.

2. How are gases sold if not by volume?

Gases are typically sold by weight or moles. This allows for a more accurate and consistent measurement of the amount of gas being sold.

3. Can gases be compressed to fit into smaller containers for sale?

Yes, gases can be compressed to fit into smaller containers for sale. This is often done for convenience and transportation purposes.

4. Are there any safety concerns with selling gases by volume?

Yes, there are safety concerns with selling gases by volume. If the containers are not properly sealed or if there are any leaks, the volume of gas can change and potentially cause harm to the environment or individuals.

5. How are the prices of gases determined?

The prices of gases are typically determined by their availability, demand, and production costs. Gases that are more readily available and in high demand may be sold at a lower price, while those that are rare or difficult to produce may be sold at a higher price.