Intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave

In summary, the problem requires calculating the ratio of the intensity of an emergent light wave passing through water and a thin pane of glass to the intensity of the wave in the water. This can be done using the equations for incident and transmitted intensity, which take into account the permittivity, velocity, and electric field of the wave. The assumption of mu=mu_o may not be necessary and the index of refraction of the thin pane of glass is not needed to solve the problem. It is important to consider the equations for intensity transmission and reflection at the interface between two materials with different indices of refraction.
risendemon

Homework Statement

A plane monochromatic light wave passes from a source inside an aquarium tank through water of index of refraction 1.33, then, at normal incidence, through a flat pane of glass of index 1.5 into air. Calculate the ratio of the intensity of the emergent light wave to that of the wave in the water. Assume that the permeabilities are all mu_o

Homework Equations

so, I found two equations I thought would be useful for this calculation:
I_I= .5*E_1*v_1*((E_0_I)^2)*cos(theta_I)
I_T= .5*E_2*v_2*((E_0_T)^2)*cos(theta_T)

where:
I_I= the incident intensity
I_T= the transmitted intensity
E_1= the permittivity of medium one
E_2= the permittivity of medium two
v_1= the velocity of the light in medium one
v_2= the velocity of the light in medium two
E_o_I= the max electric field of the incident wave
E_o_T= the max electric field of the transmitted wave
(in other words, the _ denotes subscript- I can't find an equation writer- is there one on this site? where do I find it?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that if these equations will yeild the correct answer, that the calculation is strait forward; However, I'm not sure that they use all the information provided. I know that I will use the indeces of refraction to find the velocities v_1 and v_2, but what about the assumption that all mu=mu_o?
Do these equations assume that to be the case? Also, using these equations, I would not need the index of refraction of the thin pane of glass, and the description of the problem gives that information.

More concisely, are these the right equations? If not, then what equations would I need to figure this out?

Thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're overcomplicating this. When a wave hits an interface between two materials of different indices of refraction, a portion of its intensity is transmitted, and a portion is reflected. Do you have these equations? They are derived from continuity of certain components of the electric and magnetic fields at the boundary.

What is the definition of intensity for a plane monochromatic light wave?

The intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave is the amount of energy per unit time passing through a unit area perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

How is the intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave related to its amplitude?

The intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the intensity also increases.

What factors affect the intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave?

The intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave can be affected by the amplitude of the wave, the distance from the source, and any obstructions or interference in its path.

How is the intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave measured?

The intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave is typically measured using a light meter, which measures the amount of light energy passing through a specific area. The units of measurement for intensity are watts per square meter (W/m²).

Why is the intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave important in scientific research?

The intensity of a plane monochromatic light wave is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties of the light source, such as its energy output and the effects of different materials on the intensity. It is also a crucial factor in experiments involving the interaction of light with matter.