Elevator Weight and Acceleration

In summary, Luke stands on a scale in an elevator with constant upward acceleration and the scale reads 0.968 kN. When he picks up a box, the scale reads 1.215 kN. The acceleration of the elevator is 3.48 m/s^2 upward. To calculate Luke's weight, you can use the formula F=MA, but make sure to use N for weight instead of kg for mass. By plugging in the known values, you can find that Luke's weight is 2725.97N, which is a combination of gravitational acceleration and the acceleration of the elevator.
BMWPower06

Homework Statement

Luke stands on a scale in an elevator which has a constant acceleration upward. The scale reads 0.968 kN. When Luke picks up a box of mass 18.6 kg, the scale reads 1.215 kN. (The acceleration remains the same.) Calculate the acceleration of the elevator (enter first). Is it up or down?

my answer: 3.48 m/s^2 up

Calculate Luke's weight.

Homework Equations

I can't get luke's weight, i know i use F=MA, but when i plugged in the knowns i got Kg, and it wants N.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's because the question is asking for his weight not his mass. If you can work out his "mass", your can work out his weight.

Ok, i did (968N/3.48) x (9.8)= 2725.97N yet it says I am wrong, any ideas?

The 968N comes from a combination of gravitational acceleration and the acceleration of the elevator.

What is the relationship between elevator weight and acceleration?

The relationship between elevator weight and acceleration is directly proportional. This means that as the weight of the elevator increases, the acceleration decreases and vice versa. This is due to the law of inertia, which states that an object's resistance to change in motion is directly related to its mass.

How does elevator weight affect the energy usage?

The weight of an elevator can significantly impact its energy usage. A heavier elevator will require more energy to accelerate and decelerate, resulting in higher energy consumption. This is why elevators are often designed to have a maximum weight capacity to optimize energy efficiency.

Why do elevators have weight sensors?

Elevators have weight sensors to ensure that the weight limit is not exceeded. If the elevator is overloaded, it can cause safety hazards, such as malfunction or breakdown. The weight sensors help to prevent this by alerting the elevator control system to stop the elevator from operating.

How does elevator weight affect its speed?

The weight of an elevator can impact its speed due to the relationship between weight and acceleration. A heavier elevator will have a slower acceleration and deceleration rate, resulting in a longer travel time. This is why elevators may feel slower during peak hours when they are carrying more weight.

What is the maximum weight capacity for elevators?

The maximum weight capacity for elevators varies depending on the type and design of the elevator. Generally, passenger elevators have a weight capacity of 2,000-5,000 lbs, while freight elevators can hold up to 10,000 lbs. It is important to follow weight limits to ensure safe and efficient elevator operation.