Levitation Device: Is it Real or Fake?

• Thread starter Capler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levitation
In summary, the conversation revolved around a video claiming to demonstrate a fully functional levitation device. It was discussed that the video may be fake and that the use of a phone and aluminum objects may not be enough to create a magnetic field. Further discussion included the Hutchison effect and other possible explanations for the trickery in the video. The conversation also mentioned a past personal experience with a similar trick performed with a sugar glass and questioned the practicality of using a mobile phone with an external aerial in 2007.
Capler
Hello All,

I stumbled across this video:

http://shizzville.com/make-your-own-levitation-device

In which someone claims to make a fully functional levitation device.
I tried it with a slightly newer phone and, (as expected) I couldn't replicate it.

Although this is probably a fake, is there any legitimacy to it?
From a little research, I understand that CDs have an aluminum coating and the soda can is obviously aluminum. Does the phone theoretically make the battery "think" it is being used in a system via the electromagnetic waves it emits? But then how would the soda can work?

Or is this all nonsense since it's completely phony?

I just had to ask. :smile:

Any and all help/feedback is much appreciated in advance.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think he missed out the step where you need 2 lengths of nylon thread and a friend standign out of shot.

Hey I was just about to start a new thread asking about this so called "hutchison effect".
It seems like a big fraud to me but has anyone done any simple experiments relating to this at all? By that I mean ones that your average Physics student can do without NASA or something of that sort backing them.

I remember seeing some kind of suposed aluminum foil covered gliders. They were only about the size of a human hand but still. Any infromation on Huchison effect or propoltion or material munipulation using electricity would be apprishiated.

Oh yeah I already know about Magnetic shape memory metal if you have not heared of this you should check it out. VERY COOL

After watching the video I could find any number of reasons for the trickery but a dime is used on the playing card. Since a dime is not magnetic how is the opposing magnetic field induced? This is also assuming that the phone is in transmit mode. I admit I have been fooled many times but if he had used a steel 1943 penny instead of a dime I may have believed it.

One time many years ago in a bar in National City, California, a fellow shipmate would eat a beer glass for money. We were all amazed by this feat and assumed he would suffer intolerable body damage. Later on I found out he was in cahoots with the bartender and the glass was made of sugar.

Last edited:
Who has a mobile phone with an external aerial?

It's 2007, not 1987.

1. Is levitation device real or just an illusion?

The concept of levitation has been a topic of fascination for centuries, but currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a levitation device. Many supposed demonstrations of levitation are simply illusions or tricks, and there is no known technology that can make an object or person float in mid-air.

2. How do levitation devices work?

As mentioned before, there is currently no known technology that can make objects levitate. Some illusions may use hidden wires or magnets, but true levitation is not possible with our current understanding of physics and technology.

3. Are there any documented cases of real levitation?

There are no scientifically credible cases of levitation that have been documented. There have been some reports and claims of levitation, but they have not been substantiated by scientific evidence.

4. Can levitation devices be used for transportation?

As of now, there is no technology that can make objects or people levitate for transportation purposes. Even if such a technology were to be developed, it would require immense amounts of energy and would likely not be feasible for practical use.

5. Can levitation devices defy gravity?

No, levitation devices cannot defy the laws of gravity. Objects can appear to levitate through the use of illusions or tricks, but true levitation would require a way to counteract the force of gravity, which is not possible with our current technology.