Determining an Equation of Motion

In summary: I'm sorry, more information would be appreciated.In summary, the goal of the project is to keep the distance between two cars on a circular roller coaster ride constant. This is done by keeping the cars at the same point on the hill at all times. This is done by having the cars evenly spaced apart, and by having a separation between the cars that is a multiple of the separation between two adjacent hills. If you need a function to describe their separation as a function of time, someone else would have quicker insight to that than I.
MASH4077
Problem Outline: I'm trying to determine how to keep the distance between 2 cars on a (3D) roller coaster ride. Currently the front car moves away from the back car.

My current implementation uses a second order differential equation to model the acceleration of the cars at time t. The equation is as follows:

y'' = ((n^3 * H^2 * y' ^ 2 * sin(n * theta) - n*g*H) * cos(n * theta)) / (R^2 + n^2 * H^2 *cos^2(n * theta))

n = no. of hills,
R = radius of the track,
H = height of the hills (in metres)
theta = angle of revolution about the track

This ODE is numerically integrated using the Runge-Kutta method.

Information much appreciated. Any further information please do not hesitate to ask.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MASH4077 said:
Problem Outline: I'm trying to determine how to keep the distance between 2 cars on a (3D) roller coaster ride. Currently the front car moves away from the back car.

My current implementation uses a second order differential equation to model the acceleration of the cars at time t. The equation is as follows:

y'' = ((n^3 * H^2 * y' ^ 2 * sin(n * theta) - n*g*H) * cos(n * theta)) / (R^2 + n^2 * H^2 *cos^2(n * theta))

n = no. of hills,
R = radius of the track,
H = height of the hills (in metres)
theta = angle of revolution about the track

This ODE is numerically integrated using the Runge-Kutta method.

Information much appreciated. Any further information please do not hesitate to ask.

thanks.
I'm having trouble picturing what you want. What do y' and y" represent? Why would you cube the number of hills? and then multiply that by the square of the height of (which?) hill? What is theta measured from and how can that stay constant? Is the track circular, but with hills? More details...

Hi Chi,

Sorry for my explanations. I'll try to make it clearer. Basically what that second ODE does is it models the acceleration (y'') of a roller coaster car (theoretically it can represent any object) on a circular track that has radius (R), (n) hills each of height (H). Note the simulation runs in 3D. The angle (theta) represents the angle (in radians) that the car has with the x-axis. The car moves around the track in a clockwise manner. The (y') component is an approximation of the velocity (at time t).

What I what to achieve is to maintain the distance between two cars at each time step. Since currently as the simulation progress the roller cars as they move down a hill they move a part and as the to the bottom they move closer. The same happens as the cars move up a hill and reach the top.

If you need any further information please do not hesitate to ask :).

MASH4077 said:
What I what to achieve is to maintain the distance between two cars at each time step. Since currently as the simulation progress the roller cars as they move down a hill they move a part and as the to the bottom they move closer. The same happens as the cars move up a hill and reach the top.

If you mean to say that you want to keep the distance between the cars constant, the only way is to have the cars always at the same point on a hill as the other. The hills would have to be equally spaced, and the separation of the cars must be some multiple of the separation between two adjacent hills.

If you need a function to describe their separation as a function of time, someone else would have quicker insight to that than I.

1. How do you determine the equation of motion for an object?

The equation of motion for an object can be determined by using the basic equation of motion, which is: distance = initial velocity * time + (1/2) * acceleration * time^2. This equation will give you the position of the object at any given time. However, if the object is moving at a constant velocity, the equation of motion will be distance = velocity * time.

2. What are the necessary values needed to determine the equation of motion?

The necessary values needed to determine the equation of motion are the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. These values can be measured or calculated using other equations or data.

3. Can the equation of motion be used for objects with changing velocities?

Yes, the equation of motion can be used for objects with changing velocities. In this case, the acceleration value will change over time, and the equation will need to be solved for each specific time interval to get the position of the object.

4. Is there any other equation that can be used to determine the equation of motion?

Yes, there are other equations that can be used to determine the equation of motion, such as the kinematic equations. These equations are derived from the basic equation of motion and can be used for more complex motion situations.

5. How does air resistance affect the equation of motion?

Air resistance can affect the equation of motion by adding a drag force that opposes the motion of the object. This force can change the acceleration value and thus alter the equation of motion. In some cases, air resistance can also change the object's velocity, which will also affect the equation of motion.