How Do You Calculate Total Work on a Car Coasting Downhill in Physics?

• Thread starter iceman90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total work done on a car as it travels a certain distance down a hill inclined at an angle theta. The car is acted on by three forces: the normal force from the road, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The equations used are derived from the sum of force equals mass times acceleration, and the net force is determined by adding all the forces together. The normal force is applied downward and parallel to the road, the force of gravity is essentially weight, and air resistance is a small force that affects the car's acceleration. The questioner also asks for suggestions on how to incorporate friction into the equation.
iceman90
This is my first post and I am sorry for any mispelled words or incorrect grammer

This is a problem for my grade 10 physics class
A car of mass m coasts down a hill inclined at an angle theta below the horizontal. The car is acted on by 3 forces. The normal force N exerted by the road, a force due to air resistance, F(air) and the force of gravity mg. Find the total work done on the car as it travels a distance d along the road.

Any suggestions :)

Physics news on Phys.org
what are the forces in use? There has to be some numbers.

Well it's asking for an equation to find the total work done on the car. There arent any numbers.

ok then, we know that they are asking for three forces,
a)air resistence
B)force of gravity
c)normal force

so the equations in use is are derived from the sum of F(force)=ma
that mean we just add up all the force to make a net force.
Normal force is the force applied downward and parallel to the road
the force of gravity is essentially weight, or the amount of force applied towards the Earth's center
and the the wind resistence is just a small force applied on the force of the car accelerating downward, which is the force of gravity applied at a certain angle.

Does this help?

How am I supposed to put friction into the equation?

What is the first step in solving a Grade 10 Physics problem?

The first step in solving a Grade 10 Physics problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure to identify all given information and what is being asked for in the problem.

How do I approach a Physics problem that involves multiple concepts?

For problems that involve multiple concepts, it is important to break down the problem into smaller parts and solve each part separately. Then, combine the solutions to get the final answer.

What should I do if I am stuck on a problem and cannot solve it?

If you are stuck on a problem, try approaching it from a different angle or using a different method. You can also ask a classmate or your teacher for help. Remember to always show your work so that others can see where you are getting stuck.

Why is it important to include units in my calculations?

Including units in your calculations is important because it helps you keep track of the different quantities involved in the problem and ensures that your final answer has the correct units. It also allows others to understand your thought process and follow your calculations.

How can I check if my answer is reasonable?

You can check if your answer is reasonable by estimating the answer before solving the problem. You can also compare your answer to similar problems or use the correct unit conversion to check if your answer is in the correct range.