Find B at Distance r from Capacitor Symmetry Axis

• Thread starter hastings
  • Start date
In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the magnetic induction, B, at a distance r from the symmetry axis of a capacitor with circle plates of radius R, separated by a distance h, and under a tension V. This problem can be studied in two different cases: 1. r<<R and 2. r>>R. To solve this problem, you will need to use Ampere's law over a circular path centered on the symmetry axis and Gauss' Law in each of the two limiting cases. Start by writing down the relevant equations and proceed from there.
hastings
problem:
A capacitor has circle plates with radius R. the plates are at a distance h. between the plates there is a tension V. Find B, magnetic induction, at a distance r from the symmetry axis of the capacitor. See diagram attached.

what I did:
I know it has to be studied in two different cases:
1. r<<R
2. r>>R

I know...

(1)[tex]V=\int E dl=Eh \longrightarrow E=\frac{V(t)}{h}[/tex]

(2)[tex]\oint E dl=-\frac{d\phi(B)}{dt} [/tex]

But then how to go on?
Please please please help...!

Attachments

• prob3.jpg
    prob3.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
You would do better to use Ampere's law over a circular path centered on the symmetry axis. Then you'll have to use Gauss' Law in each of the two limiting cases.

Start off by writing down the above equation and see how far you can go.

1. What is the definition of "Capacitor Symmetry Axis"?

The Capacitor Symmetry Axis is an imaginary line that runs through the center of a capacitor, dividing it into equal halves.

2. How do I calculate the distance from the Capacitor Symmetry Axis?

To calculate the distance, r, from the Capacitor Symmetry Axis, you will need to measure the distance from the center of the capacitor to the point where you want to find the value of B. This distance is known as the radius of the capacitor.

3. What is the value of B at a distance r from the Capacitor Symmetry Axis?

The value of B at a distance r from the Capacitor Symmetry Axis can be calculated using the formula B = μI/2πr, where μ is the permeability of the material between the capacitor plates, and I is the current flowing through the capacitor.

4. How does the distance from the Capacitor Symmetry Axis affect the value of B?

The value of B is inversely proportional to the distance from the Capacitor Symmetry Axis. This means that as the distance increases, the value of B decreases.

5. Can the value of B at a distance r from the Capacitor Symmetry Axis be negative?

Yes, the value of B can be negative at a distance r from the Capacitor Symmetry Axis if the current flowing through the capacitor is in the opposite direction of the magnetic field. This can happen in cases where the current is alternating or reversing direction.