Run Dos Program from MATLAB on Leopard & Windows XP

In summary, The user is trying to run a DOS program via an M file in the same directory on a virtual XP drive while running MATLAB on Leopard. They have tried using commands such as system and dos, but have encountered an 'access denied' error. They also tried running the Windows version of MATLAB in Parallels, but it renamed their directories and the program was unable to run. They are seeking other solutions or ideas to make the program run successfully.
mastover
I am running MATLAB on Leopard, i need to run a dos program via MATLAB script file. I also have windows xp running with parallel desktop. my m file is in the same directory as the dos program, on my virtual xp drive. i have tried using commands such as system and dos.. but to no avail.

anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried running the Windows version of MATLAB in Parallels?

I tried that but it was through remote software, so it renamed my directories for some reason. That made the program incapable of running.

i get an 'access denied' error

1. Can I run a DOS program from MATLAB on both Leopard and Windows XP?

Yes, it is possible to run a DOS program from MATLAB on both Leopard and Windows XP. However, the steps may differ depending on the specific operating system and version of MATLAB you are using.

2. How do I run a DOS program from MATLAB on Leopard?

To run a DOS program from MATLAB on Leopard, you will need to use the "system" command. This command allows you to execute a DOS command or program from within MATLAB. You can also use the "dos" command for older versions of MATLAB.

3. What is the process for running a DOS program from MATLAB on Windows XP?

The process for running a DOS program from MATLAB on Windows XP is very similar to the process for Leopard. You will also need to use the "system" command, and the steps will be almost identical to those for Leopard. However, you may need to specify the path to the DOS program on Windows XP.

4. Are there any limitations to running a DOS program from MATLAB?

There are a few limitations to running a DOS program from MATLAB. First, the DOS program must be compatible with your operating system. Additionally, the DOS program may not be able to access some features or functions of MATLAB, such as plotting or GUI interfaces. Lastly, the performance of the DOS program may be affected by running it through MATLAB.

5. Can I pass input arguments to the DOS program when running it from MATLAB?

Yes, you can pass input arguments to the DOS program when running it from MATLAB. You can use the "system" or "dos" command to specify the arguments to be passed. These arguments will be passed as strings, so you may need to convert them to the appropriate data type within the DOS program.