Simple Acceleration Equation Help

In summary, the given equation for calculating distance is d = vi(t) + (1/2)gt^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, t is time, vi is initial velocity, and d represents displacement. In this case, d also represents distance as it is a scalar quantity. The negative sign in the equation represents the displacement being below the initial axis, but it can be left out when expressing distance as it cannot be negative. However, some teachers may require the negative sign to be included, but it is important to understand the true meaning of distance in physics.
Linday12
[SOLVED] Simple Acceleration Equation Help

g=-9.80 m/s^2
t= 3.85
vi= 0.00 m/s
d=?
d=vi(t) + (1/2)gt^2

d=0 + (1/2)(-9.80m/s^2)((3.85s)^2)
=-72.6

I'm trying to find the distance. So, this d represents displacement. Since in this case, this is also the distance, would there be any other work to show the sign change, since the d would be going from a vector to a scalar? Or should I have modified this equation beforehand to show d as a scalar, and not have taken into account the gravities negative?

By the way, sorry, this must seem like a trivial matter really not worth time, but I hate not understanding it down to the tiny details. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The negative sign looks fine to me since the displacement is below the axis where you set your initial displacement to be zero.

Thanks. So, would I just leave out the negative when expressing it as a distance, and there would be no work needed?

That's right. Distance, by definition in physics, cannot be negative. However, most teachers I've come across with in high school tend to blur the distinction between distance and displacement in physics questions. If you want to be technical about it, leave out the negative sign and if the teacher has you bollocked for not putting in the negative sign, tell them the true meaning of distance in physics. :rofl:

Haha, excellent. Thank you for the help! :smile:

What is the simple acceleration equation?

The simple acceleration equation is a formula used to calculate the acceleration of an object in motion. It is expressed as a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What units are used in the simple acceleration equation?

The units used in the simple acceleration equation depend on the units used for velocity and time. If velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s) and time is measured in seconds (s), then the units for acceleration would be meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How is the simple acceleration equation used in real life?

The simple acceleration equation is used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the acceleration of a car or a roller coaster. It is also used in physics experiments to measure the acceleration of objects due to gravity.

What are some common mistakes when using the simple acceleration equation?

Some common mistakes when using the simple acceleration equation include using incorrect units, not considering the direction of the velocity, and not accounting for external factors such as air resistance. It is important to carefully check the values and units used in the equation to ensure accurate results.

Can the simple acceleration equation be rearranged to solve for different variables?

Yes, the simple acceleration equation can be rearranged to solve for different variables depending on what information is given. For example, if the acceleration and time are known, the equation can be rearranged to solve for velocity by multiplying both sides by time and adding the initial velocity.