Stepper Motor Torque Characteristic Measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in measuring the characteristics of a stepping motor and the question of how to measure pull-in and pull-out torque using a simple pulley system. The company's method involves attaching a weight to a string that wraps around the pulley and analyzing the forces acting on the pulley. Various equations and methods are suggested for calculating the torque, but it is emphasized that the method may vary depending on factors such as the type of string and the number of wraps around the pulley. The conversation also explores the possibility of using a known weight to calibrate the system and calculate the kinetic coefficient of friction.
DBoy00

Homework Statement

I am in such a situation, where we are trying to measure the characteristics of a stepping motor in order to verify its operational characteristics.

I have tried measuring the motor's torque in many ways but I am having trouble following the company maker's method given. Perhaps my physics is not good enough, therefore I really want some help.

The question follows:

I am trying to measure pull-in and pull-out torque via analog simple pulley system.

The company showed us a demo on how they obtained their data. I do not fully understand the method.

- The system comprises of the small stepper motor fixed in a V shaped suspension body by means of a rubber clamp

- The motor shaft is connected to a pulley or radius r

- A string fixed to the suspension body comes vertical down and wraps around the pulley twice before going towards the ground with a weight attached W

- The motor is then put under pull-in and pull-out measurements with varying weight

- Pull-in torque being operating the motor from rest with the weight attached, when a full rotation is not achieved after inputting a fixed number of steps, then it has slipped and reached it's limit

- Pull-out torque being accelerating the motor to the wanted speed then adding weigh till the motor stalls or slips

I only know the weight attached to the bottom of the string. I am pondering why the company would use such a method.
The data would be different depending on the string and the amount of times the string wraps around the pulley. Here's a picture to give the idea... I:m going to slap together in paint now. I have attached it since I cannot link without 15 posts... even though I attached it here

2. Homework Equations and questions

torque = F*length, W = mass*gravity, Ffriction = Fn*u

What would be the forces acting on the pulley surrounding the shaft? Would we not need the forced exerted on the point the string is attached to?

How does the tension in the rope relate to the normal force acting along the diameter of the pulley?

Basically how would I find the torque after knowing the weight at the end of the string.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried imagining the tension in the string acting evenly on all parts of the pulley... therefore if the pulley was flattened out then it would be a flat line with T acting on it. Since I wrapped it twice around the pulley, it'd be 2x the torque. However, after looking at it I think it is wrong. There is no way to guarantee that the T in the string would be acting on the pulley evenly. Furthermore T cannot be estimated as T, and Fn on the pulley therefore cannot be just T.

Another method I read in a book suggests that I take the torque as:

torque = (F1 - W)(r + a),

'a' being the rope thickness, 'F1' being the force from the rope above the pulley and 'W' being the weight of the load at the end of the string.

Attachments

• torque.gif
    torque.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 659
Physics news on Phys.org
The idea is to wrap the pulley enough times so that the force F1 is negligible. Then the torque equals T2*r or Weight*r. Adjusting the number of wraps and the takeoff angle to get F1 small would be simple in practice and I'm sure this is why they use this configuration of torque measurement.

Chris

But during the demo experiment I saw, they let the motor rotate without lifting the actual weight.

The pulley was simply rotating with dynamic friction while the rope was around it. That is the primary reason i do not understand this pulley problem. Depending on the turns and depending on the string, all these factors change the load on the torque.

DBoy00 said:
But during the demo experiment I saw, they let the motor rotate without lifting the actual weight.

The pulley was simply rotating with dynamic friction while the rope was around it. That is the primary reason i do not understand this pulley problem. Depending on the turns and depending on the string, all these factors change the load on the torque.

Using your descriptors T2=F1*e^[(mu_sub_k)*(theta)]

mu_sub_k is the kinematic coefficient of friction.
theta is the angle of revolutions the string has made around the pulley in radians (2*pi for once around).

If you use a known weight to tension T2 and measure F1 you can calculate mu_sub_k for that particular string and pulley combination. Once calibrated you can change the tension T2 using other weights per the requirements of your test procedure and calculate F1. Then the total torque on the pulley will be (T2*r)+(F1*r).

Chris

The total torque on the pulley be (T2*r)-(F1*r)

1. What is a stepper motor torque characteristic measurement?

A stepper motor torque characteristic measurement is a process used to determine the torque output of a stepper motor at different operating speeds and currents. This measurement is important for understanding the performance capabilities of the motor and ensuring it is suitable for its intended application.

2. How is the torque characteristic of a stepper motor measured?

The torque characteristic of a stepper motor is typically measured by applying a known load to the motor and recording the torque output at various operating speeds and currents. This can be done using a torque sensor or by attaching a known weight to the motor shaft and measuring the resulting torque.

3. What factors can affect the torque characteristic of a stepper motor?

Several factors can influence the torque characteristic of a stepper motor, including the design and construction of the motor, the type of drive circuit used, and the operating temperature. The load applied to the motor and the input voltage and current can also have an impact on the torque output.

4. Why is it important to measure the torque characteristic of a stepper motor?

Measuring the torque characteristic of a stepper motor is essential for determining its performance capabilities and ensuring it is suitable for its intended application. This information can also be used to optimize the motor's operation and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

5. What are some common methods used to improve the torque characteristic of a stepper motor?

There are several techniques that can be used to improve the torque characteristic of a stepper motor, including increasing the input voltage and current, using a more powerful drive circuit, and optimizing the motor's design and construction. In some cases, adding gearbox or pulley systems can also help to increase the torque output of a stepper motor.