Why audio speaker produces the same sound wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of phase inversion in audio systems and the controversy surrounding its effects on sound quality. It is argued that while our hearing is relatively insensitive to polarity, there may be subtle differences in sound perception when it comes to live performances and specific instruments such as the bass drum. Further research and double blind testing is needed to determine the true impact of phase inversion on sound reproduction.
umery2k75
I played the audio song on my 8 Ohm audio speaker. I used my Computer Audio Port to play the song. I played that song on my speaker, it worked perfectly, but when I invert the audio signal 180' out of phase, the voice generated was the same.
That is to say, when the speaker used to contract, it was expanding and when the speaker used to expand, it was contracting, but there was no difference at all in the sound wave generated, why was this happening?

Attachments

• Audio.JPG
    Audio.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
The speaker creates pulsations in air pressure. In practical terms, it make no difference whether the speaker's voice coil initially retracts or extends when a note is hit, though I expect that some audiophile with $1000 speaker cables is going to challenge this. I have rebuilt and restored guitar amplifiers for many years, and when dealing with an amp with multiple speakers, I always observed speaker polarity to avoid cancellation effects. With single-speaker amps, the owner could never tell the difference if polarity was observed or not.

umery2k75 said:
I played the audio song on my 8 Ohm audio speaker. I used my Computer Audio Port to play the song. I played that song on my speaker, it worked perfectly, but when I invert the audio signal 180' out of phase, the voice generated was the same.

it sounds the same, but it is not the same waveform. if they're driven by a sinusoid, one waveform will be 180o out of phase from the other.

the reasons why it sounds the same are largely physiological and psychoacoustical: our hearing is essentially polarity insensitive. (not relatively between ears, if you reverse the leads on just one speaker of a stereo pair, you will notice a problem, but if you reverse the leads on both speakers, you will not hear the difference.)

When a drum is hit, the surface that is hit moves in. But the surface on the other side moves out. So why don't they cancel out and no vibration should be produce.Condensation and rarefaction don't cancel out. Is that the reason they don't cancel out, because they are on opposite sides. As depicted in the below diagram.

Attachments

• Drum.JPG
    Drum.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 458
Written by: Kral
There is disagreement among audiophiles as to whether it matters whether there is a phase inversionin the playback system or not. Certainly for steady state sine wave tones, it does not. However, consider this situation: You have a drummer whack his bass drum once. In the live scene, the initial wave reaching the ear is a pressure (higher than ambient pressure) wave. This is then followed by a rarefication (lower than ambient pressure) wave. If the audio reproduction system has a 180 degree phase shift anywhere along the signal path, then the initial wave reaching the ear from the speaker will be a rarefication wave, followed by a presure wave. Does this matter? This is the question that creates controversy among audiophiles. Some say they can hear the diffrerence, others say no. Certainly for most music, you will not be able to hear the difference (my opinion). It would be interesting to perform a double blind test with the bass drum or some other percussion instrument as the musical source material.
Regards,
Kral

Last edited:
umery2k75 said:
When a drum is hit, the surface that is hit moves in. But the surface on the other side moves out. So why don't they cancel out and no vibration should be produce. Condensation and rarefaction don't cancel out. Is that the reason they don't cancel out, because they are on opposite sides. As depicted in the below diagram.

you need to set up the thought experiment better. of course they don't cancel out except conceivably latterally from the drum where the compression wave and rarefraction wave have the same distance to the listening ear.

think of one monophonic amplifier driving two identical speakers but only one is wired with the polarity reversed. along a plane that is halfway between and perpendicular to the line connecting the speakers, theoretically the waves cancel out. but not at other locations where the distance to one speaker is shorter than the distance to the other.

umery2k75 said:
There is disagreement among audiophiles as to whether it matters whether there is a phase inversionin the playback system or not. Certainly for steady state sine wave tones, it does not. However, consider this situation: You have a drummer whack his bass drum once. In the live scene, the initial wave reaching the ear is a pressure (higher than ambient pressure) wave. This is then followed by a rarefication (lower than ambient pressure) wave. If the audio reproduction system has a 180 degree phase shift anywhere along the signal path, then the initial wave reaching the ear from the speaker will be a rarefication wave, followed by a presure wave. Does this matter? This is the question that creates controversy among audiophiles. Some say they can hear the diffrerence, others say no. Certainly for most music, you will not be able to hear the difference (my opinion). It would be interesting to perform a double blind test with the bass drum or some other percussion instrument as the musical source material.

i'm in the Audio Engineering Society and there have been papers flying back and forth about this. conceptually, that is a tangible difference (the polarity of initial attack wave). but in your live setting, does the kick drum sound different from if your 4 meters in front of it vs. 4 meters behind it? how much of the difference is due to shadowing of the drummer sitting behind the kick drum?

the only real answer to this is with well-designed (double) blind testing. and it has to be done so that the questions asked are objective and neutral (i.e. not which one sounds "better", but do the two sound the same or not). I'm a fan of what they might call AB testing rather than ABX testing. you can slip in an equal number of identical sounds and ask the same "are A and B the same or different?" question. subtract the number of false positives from the number of correct positives and same for the false negatives from correct negatives and then you remove any bias from the listeners.

This kinda stuff has been done for Monster Cable (and those guys didn't like the result and still try to rationalize it away) and, i think, for certain sample rate experiments (where content above 22 kHz is removed to see if people can truly hear the difference - they can't).

1. Why do audio speakers produce the same sound wave?

Audio speakers produce the same sound wave because they are designed to convert electrical signals into mechanical vibrations that create sound waves. This process is based on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where the electrical signal causes a coil of wire to move back and forth, creating sound waves in the process.

2. How is it possible for different speakers to produce the same sound wave?

Different speakers can produce the same sound wave because they all follow the same basic principle of converting electrical signals into mechanical vibrations. However, the design and construction of the speakers may vary, resulting in differences in sound quality and frequency response.

3. What factors affect the production of the same sound wave by audio speakers?

The factors that affect the production of the same sound wave by audio speakers include the materials used in the speaker's construction, the design and placement of the speaker components, and the electrical signal being fed to the speaker.

4. Can the same sound wave be produced by speakers of different sizes?

Yes, speakers of different sizes can produce the same sound wave as long as they are designed to follow the same principle of converting electrical signals into mechanical vibrations. However, the size and design of the speaker may affect the sound quality and frequency response.

5. How do speakers produce multiple sound waves simultaneously?

Speakers produce multiple sound waves simultaneously by converting different electrical signals into mechanical vibrations at the same time. This is possible because speakers have multiple components, such as woofers and tweeters, that are designed to handle different frequencies and produce different sound waves simultaneously.