Does Linkage Matter in a Cross of Truebreeding Recessives?

In summary, the conversation discusses the outcome of crossing truebreeding mutants with genes A and B and their respective recessive mutants, a and b. The speaker mentions that in this situation, linkage does not matter and the resulting offspring will be Aa Bb regardless. The conversation also includes a clarification request and an agreement from another individual.
Yann
Just a simple question, if I got two genes with 2 recessive mutants, let say the wildtype A and B with mutants a and b. And I cross truebreeding mutants (AA bb, aa BB), linkage, in this situation, doesn't matter, I'll get Aa Bb anyway, am I right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify your question, I'm not sure what you are asking.

I agree, Yan.

Tag the alleles as maternal (M) or paternal (P) chromosome. Then write the tags with the alleles: AM AP bM bP

If no crossover occurs (or an even number of crossovers occur) between A and b, you get a gamete with AM bM and a gamete with AP bP.

If crossover occurs (or an odd number of crossovers occur) between A and B, you get a gamete with AM bP and another with AP bM.

Those are still Ab. The same argument holds for the other double-homozygous parent, so your conclusion is correct, you get the double heterozygote and the degree of linkage won't change that.

1. Does linkage matter in a cross of truebreeding recessives?

Yes, linkage can play a significant role in determining the outcome of a cross between truebreeding recessive organisms. Linkage refers to the physical connection of genes on the same chromosome, which affects their inheritance patterns.

2. How does linkage affect the inheritance of traits in a cross of truebreeding recessives?

Linkage can result in the co-inheritance of certain traits that are physically close together on the same chromosome. This means that if two recessive traits are linked, they are more likely to be inherited together rather than independently.

3. Are all truebreeding recessive traits linked?

No, not all truebreeding recessive traits are linked. Linkage is dependent on the physical location of genes on a chromosome, so two recessive traits may or may not be linked depending on their specific locations.

4. How can linkage be determined in a cross of truebreeding recessives?

Linkage can be determined by performing a genetic cross and analyzing the inheritance patterns of the offspring. If two traits are consistently inherited together, it is likely that they are linked.

5. Can linkage be broken in a cross of truebreeding recessives?

Yes, linkage can be broken through a process called genetic recombination. This occurs when there is a physical exchange of genetic material between homologous chromosomes during meiosis, resulting in the separation of linked genes and the inheritance of traits independently.