Uniqueness Theorem: Complex Analysis Explained

In summary, the uniqueness theorem in Complex analysis states that if an analytic function f(z) and a constant function g(z) have the same values at an infinite set of points with a limit point, then f(z) and g(z) are identical. This theorem was applied in a solution where f(z) was found to be equal to g(z) for all points in the set {1/n :n=1,2,3...}.
matheater
Will anybody please tell me what is the statement of the "Uniqueness theorem" in Complex analysis??

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if there is a unique uniqueness theorem. Can you maybe be more specific? Uniqueness of what?

nicksauce said:
I'm not sure if there is a unique uniqueness theorem. Can you maybe be more specific? Uniqueness of what?
I have the sum:
Let f:C-->C be analytic s.t f(1/n)=1/n^2,n=1,2,3...
Then(out of 4 ans i am giving the correct one)f(z)=z^2 for all z in C
The solution is done as follows:
Let g(z)=z^2 for all z in C.Then f(z)=g(z) for all z in {1/n :n=1,2,3.}.since {1/n :n=1,2,3.} is an infinite set having a limit point "0",so by "uniqueness theorem" f(z)=g(z) for all z in C.

Here i want to have the statement of this Uniqueness theorem...

1. What is the Uniqueness Theorem in complex analysis?

The Uniqueness Theorem in complex analysis states that if two functions are holomorphic on a domain and agree on a set that has a limit point in that domain, then they must be identical on the entire domain. This means that a holomorphic function is completely determined by its values on a set with a limit point.

2. How is the Uniqueness Theorem used in complex analysis?

The Uniqueness Theorem is used to prove the existence of solutions to boundary value problems in complex analysis. It is also used to prove the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every non-constant polynomial equation with complex coefficients has at least one complex root.

3. What is the difference between the Uniqueness Theorem and the Identity Theorem in complex analysis?

The Uniqueness Theorem and the Identity Theorem are closely related, but they have some key differences. The Uniqueness Theorem applies to holomorphic functions on a domain, while the Identity Theorem applies to entire functions. Additionally, the Uniqueness Theorem requires the functions to agree on a set with a limit point, while the Identity Theorem only requires them to agree on a set with an accumulation point.

4. Can the Uniqueness Theorem be applied to non-holomorphic functions?

No, the Uniqueness Theorem only applies to holomorphic functions. Non-holomorphic functions do not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are necessary for the Uniqueness Theorem to hold. However, there are other uniqueness theorems that apply to different types of functions in complex analysis.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Uniqueness Theorem in complex analysis?

The Uniqueness Theorem has various applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetics. It is also used in the field of image processing, where it can be used to reconstruct images from partial data. Additionally, the Uniqueness Theorem is used in the study of conformal mappings, which have applications in cartography and computer graphics.